Riding the rails this summer? Here’s how to get a free Amtrak ticket
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
If you have trips planned up and down the Eastern Seaboard early this year, Amtrak’s newest promotion could score you a free trip.
Here’s what you need to know.
Amtrak is running a new promotion called 1-2-3 FREE where you’ll get a free ride after taking several paid trips. You will need to take six qualifying one-way trips (three round-trips) on Acela or Northeast Regional from now until February 29, 2020. Each coupon is valid for one free one-way Acela or Northeast Regional trip. You must spend a minimum of $89 per one-way segment on the Acela and $49 on the Northeast Regional but you can register for both promotions.
After you get your coupon, you’ll need to travel between July 1 and August 31, 2020, and you can only earn a maximum of four coupons. If you have Amtrak Select Executive status from, your coupons will be redeemable for Acela first-class travel if traveling in Acela business and Northeast Regional business class travel if on the Northeast Regional. Amtrak offers its own loyalty program to reward frequent customers and help you earn free rides called the Amtrak Guest Rewards program.
If you decide to take advantage of the promotion, make sure you pay for the tickets with a travel rewards card like the Chase Sapphire Reserve, which is the best card for general travel purchases. The Amtrak Guest Rewards World Mastercard is also a solid option if you’re a frequent Amtrak traveler.
Amtrak’s made a series of notable announcements last year. TPG recently got a sneak peek of what the interiors of the new high-speed Acela trains will look like when they roll out in 2021. The train operator is also introducing improvements to the long-distance cars departing from New York. Amtrak also launched nonstop Acela service between New York and Washington D.C.
Make sure to check out our ultimate guide to Amtrak Guest Rewards for more on how to earn and burn points with the loyalty program.
Featured image courtesy of Scott Mayerowitz / The Points Guy
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees