UPDATE: AA ‘reining in’ flight attendants on inflight credit card pitches
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Editor’s note: This post was updated with new information from American Airlines.
Credit card pitches have become an increasingly common feature of American Airlines flights, with what can be very aggressive announcements by flight attendants.
American Airlines has credit card deals with both Barclays and with Citi. Citi has the rights to pitch in Admirals Clubs, while Barclays gets all inflight pitching rights. That means you see ads for the Barclaycard AAdvantage Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard on inflight entertainment systems and in the airline magazines. It also means a hard sell from flight attendants.
The information for the Barclaycard AAdvantage Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard has been collected independently by The Points Guy. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
In case you wonder why the FAs are so pushy, it’s because they get a bonus for every successful credit card sign-up. One American Airlines purser told me they generally get $60 per approved application, but it can be as high as $75 during special promotions. That can add up quickly for flight attendants.
Unfortunately the information they pitch is sometimes exaggerated or even incorrect, as we’ve reported before.
The card has many great benefits, but two free first class tickets “anywhere we fly” is not one of them. Neither is “group 2 boarding” or “check in at the first class counters.” You get the point.
The Chicago Business Journal reported earlier that American Airlines is “reining in flight attendants,” and issuing an internal memo setting out some guidelines for the pitches going forward. But an American Airlines spokeswoman told TPG the guidelines were a reminder as part of an annual, voluntary training presentation.
- Pitches can only come at cruising altitude before descent.
- Pitches should be made only between 8 a.m. and 9 p.m.
- Pitches must be accurate and stick to the approved script.
- Flight attendants should only make one trip down the aisle with applications.
There are other rules as well.
If you do want the credit card in question, you don’t need to wait for your next AA flight. The Barclaycard AAdvantage Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard is now offering 60,000 bonus miles after you make a purchase within the first 90 days of card opening and pay the card’s $99 annual fee. Plus you can earn an introductory companion certificate for $99 (plus taxes and fees) after making your first purchase and paying the card’s annual fee in the first 90 days. But if you apply through a flight attendant, you get an extra 500 bonus miles.
Featured photo from The Points Guy archives.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees