Unattended Rental Car Shuts Down Phoenix Airport Terminal for 4 Hours
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Terminal 4 of Phoenix Sky Harbor Airport (PHX) was shut down for four hours on Sunday, leading to 300 flight cancellations and scores more delays — all because of a rental car.
An unattended car with its engine running was parked at the Terminal 4 curbside and was deemed suspicious by airport authorities. Large swaths of the terminal were closed for hours while police investigated the car for explosives, even sending in a bomb-diffusing robot to sweep the vehicle.
Police initially called a tow truck to simply move the idling silver Nissan out of the flow of traffic. But those plans changed when law enforcement reportedly found a trace of a suspicious substance in the car. That’s when the Phoenix bomb squad and the bomb robot were called into action to investigate the situation. The investigation lasted about four hours.
— ray mota (@rmota) September 16, 2018
The bomb squad shattered the car’s windows and pried open the hood and trunk of the vehicle to look for potential hidden explosives. After the hours-long investigation, authorities deemed the car was not a threat and finally had it towed away.
Back home now. Our Sky Harbor flight to SF left empty. I heard so many conflicting reports, I still have no clue if the car at Sky Harbor was dangerous or not. @jonmfarmer sent me this photo he took of a car that obviously had something happen to it. ?♂️ pic.twitter.com/iq2wgD8VPu
— Josh Johnson (@secondfret) September 16, 2018
Lines snaked around terminals, and, as flyers arrived for their flights, airport shuttle buses backed up during the terminal’s delays and cancellations.
Reports say the unidentified man who left the car idling went into the airport terminal to help his girlfriend check-in for her flight. He reportedly thought only a few minutes went by with the engine running. He was detained by the police for several hours.
Passengers stuck in the mess were livid at the delays.
“An inconsiderate person decided to waste thousands of people’s time and inconvenience them,” a passenger, Ryan Hintze, who was stuck in Las Vegas waiting for a connection in PHX wrote in a direct message to AZ Central. “I hope the idiot who left the rental car gets tracked down and punished to the fullest extent of the law.”
Officials say the man who parked the car will likely face nothing more than a $56 traffic ticket.
H/T: AZ Central
Featured image by @secondfret via Twitter.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees