You Could Win a Free Trip to Finland (And Borrow a Local Guide, Too)
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Want to learn the Finnish secret to happiness? You might get your chance this summer. Visit Finland — the country’s official national tourism organization — has just launched the first-ever “Rent a Finn” contest that will give a few lucky winners a free trip to Finland with a Finnish guide.
According to the 2019 United Nations World Happiness Report, which was released on Wednesday, Finland is the happiest country in the world for the second year in a row. And fortunately for the rest of us, a few generous Finns want to share some insights that might help people live happier lives. (Or, at least, have delightful vacations in Finland.)
Eight ordinary Finns have been chosen as “happiness guides” will show eight contest winners around while helping them connect with nature and relax in true Finnish style.
“Many travelers choose to visit Finland because of our uniquely peaceful nature and tranquility. The ‘Rent a Finn’ campaign … is all about sharing genuine experiences with ordinary people,” Heli Jimenez, the senior director of international marketing at Business Finland, said in a statement. “Pure nature is a part of life in Finland. We go outdoors in any weather, let our babies nap outside and spend a great deal of time in nature in general. Our happiness guides all share a certain awareness, a great love of nature and an appreciation for slow living.”
The eight happiness guides represent different parts of the country, from Helsinki to Lapland. You could explore Rovaniemi — the mythical home of Santa Claus — with its mayor, Esko, who enjoys fishing, picking berries, relaxing in the sauna and cooking on the grill. Or you can get to know Finnish Lakeland with Timo, who manages museums and exhibitions for Finland’s National Parks and Wildlife Service.
“I want to share this feeling of happiness with the world,” Timo said in a statement. “There are so many fantastic places in Finland that only locals can show you.”
The contest is open until April 14. To enter, you’ll need to film a short video about yourself, explaining your connection to nature and why you want to visit Finland, fill out a form and submit it here. You can apply alone, with a friend or as a family and choose which guide you’d like to spend your trip with.
According to a representative, winners will be selected based on their interests, and who would be best matched with one of the guides. (So if you have an appreciation for Finnish wildlife, berry-picking or reindeer, be sure to play that up in your submission.)
Winners will be contacted personally by a representative from Visit Finland to arrange their three-day, all expenses paid trip to Finland, where they’ll be hosted by one of the happiness guides — usually at his or her home or summer cottage.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees