Reno Airport unveils new push to spread joy just in time for National Compliment Day
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Beyond Wi-Fi and generous squirts of hand sanitizer, there’s aren’t that many useful or life-enhancing things you can get for free at airports anymore.
But on Monday, Jan. 24, 2022, travelers passing through Reno-Tahoe International Airport (RNO) will be showered with free compliments in honor of National Compliment Day.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
RNO’s “Kindness Take Flight” team, which works hard to spread joy in the airport year-round, will go into overdrive on Monday to dispense free compliments from a special kiosk set up in the airport’s main lobby.
Starting at 9 a.m., the team will deliver compliments such as “That color is perfect for you,” “I bet you sweat glitter,” and “You are glowing,” to passengers, meters and greeters, and airport employees. The nice-fest will continue “until the complement of compliments are exhausted,” says airport spokeswoman Annie Turner.
For those who would like to take their compliments, such as “Your smile is contagious” or “You’re more fun than bubble wrap” with them, RNO has also prepared flyers with tear-off compliments. Passengers and employees will find these posted at airports stores, restaurants, airline and rental car counters, and at the security checkpoints.
“We need positivity now more than ever,” says Turner, who encourages travelers to snap photos of the compliments booth and the compliments they see posted around the airport on social media using the @renoairport and #NationalComplimentDay tags.
The last time RNO hosted a free compliment kiosk was in 2014 and back then the charming and talented staff dispensed kind words to passengers about everything from their smart choice of eyeglass to their strong strides.
“One man appeared very stressed and quickly passed by the booth with a serious, determined look,” one Kindness Team member remembers, “And the compliment given to him was, ‘My you have a very strong gait.’ He stopped dead in his tracks, looked back, and smiled.”
While National Compliment Day is an offbeat, unofficial holiday first celebrated in 1998, there are serious benefits for travelers who make the effort to both give and receive compliments anytime, says Michelle Rozen, a motivational speaker who calls herself the Change Doctor.
“Getting into the habit of giving genuine compliments to other people around us helps tremendously with the stress of traveling and with your stress in general,” she told TPG.
“When you get a genuine compliment from someone, your blood pressure decreases because your body produces hormones that relieve your stress and anxiety. That makes sense because when someone compliments you, they make you feel good about yourself and as a result, your stress level decreases.”
Rozen says there’s also scientific research that confirms that smiling and complimenting others can significantly improve your well-being as well. “Compliments benefit the giver of the compliments just as much. Because adopting the habit of giving compliments helps you notice and appreciate what’s good and helps you develop a positive mindset.”
We’re confident that you, being the smart, savvy, and experienced traveler that you are, will have no trouble thinking of some very nice compliments to dispense to those around you on National Compliment Day. But in case you need a few more, here are some additional compliments from Reno Tahoe International Airport’s free compliment starter kit:
- I bet you make babies smile.
- Everything would be better if there were more people like you.
- Who raised you? They deserve a medal for a job well done.
- On a scale of one to ten, you’re an 11.
- You have a spring in your step that is brightening my day.
Featured image by of Gchapel/Shutterstock.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.