Tara Reid Denies Being Removed From Delta Flight, Offers Inconsistent Version of Events
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update 10/17/18 2:11pm: A Delta spokesperson told TPG that the comments in Tara Reid’s statement are inconsistent with what the airline’s flight attendants and crew onboard told the airline about the incident. The airline says Reid’s behavior was unruly and disruptive during boarding, push back and taxi, so the crew deemed her unfit to fly and returned the plane to the gate.
Actress Tara Reid is speaking out after video of her leaving a Delta flight before takeoff on Monday morning went viral. Reid says the incident occurred because the flight attendant asked her to put her emotional support dog in the overhead bin in a statement that offers an inconsistent version of events.
Video of the 42-year-old actress, first obtained by TMZ, shows a Delta employee speaking to Reid at her seat, telling her she needs to gather her belongings and get off the plane. The video then shows Reid walking off the aircraft carrying a small dog with her.
On Wednesday, Reid posted a statement regarding the video, saying that she decided to deplane after the flight attendant wouldn’t allow her registered emotional support dog fly with her in the cabin.
“I had pre-arranged flight plans to bring my 3-month-old puppy dog with me which is my emotional support dog,” Reid said in the statement posted to Instagram. A picture of the dog’s emotional support ID was also attached to the statement. The statement continues on to say that the flight attendant wanted Reid to put her puppy in the aircraft overhead bin, and then in the cargo hold “in the belly of the plane.”
View this post on Instagram
A post shared by Tara Reid (@tarareid) on
The airline maintains that Reid’s version is inconsistent with the flight attendants’ account of the incident — that she was unruly from the beginning of the boarding process.
The idea of a dog in the overhead bin is especially sensitive because back in March, a puppy died on a United flight after it was placed in its carrier in the overhead bin. After the incident, United said that “pets should never be placed in the overhead bin” because proper airflow doesn’t reach inside the bins. Dogs — and other animals — travel regularly in carriers in the cargo hold, but pet injuries and deaths happen in the hold, too.
Delta’s emotional support animal policy says “service and support animals are expected to be seated in the floor space below a passenger’s seat or seated in a passenger’s lap.” The airline’s policy also states that passengers need to complete the required paperwork before the flight, and “the size of the animal must not exceed the ‘footprint’ of the passenger’s seat.”
The airline originally said that the New York-bound flight returned to the gate at LAX “due to a customer disturbance on board,” but did not say what caused the incident. The airline also apologized to the other passengers onboard the flight who were delayed because of the matter.
Featured image by Michael Tran/FilmMagic.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees