This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
In the good old days before the Marriott-SPG merger, the Marriott Bonvoy Amex (formerly known as the SPG Amex) was one of the greatest all-around travel rewards cards thanks to its low annual fee and too-good-to-be-true earning rate of 3x Marriott points per dollar on everyday, non bonus spending.
The card is now closed to new applicants, and existing customers have seen its earning rate drop by 33% to 2x Marriott points per dollar on everyday spend. The last vestigial memories of a once great card rest in a limited-edition cityscape design and a spending bonus that effectively restores the cards earning rate to that of its glory days.
Marriott Bonvoy Amex card holders can register at this link to earn up to 100,000 bonus points. With this offer, you’ll earn 25,000 bonus points for every $25,000 you spend, up to $100,000, through Dec. 31 2019. Registration was originally set to end at the beginning of April, but Doctor of Credit is reporting that the registration date has been extended to May 31, 2019 (and this new date is reflected on the Amex registration page).
Like most Amex promotions or Amex Offers, you’ll need to register your card in order to earn these bonus points. Since there’s no cost to register, you should do so even if you’re not sure you’ll be able to hit the $25,000 spending thresholds. (Per Amex: The vast majority of Marriott Bonvoy™ American Express® Card Members are eligible to register for the offer. A small group of Card Members may not be eligible for the offer due to various reasons such as delinquencies, missed payments or suspicious account activity.)
With this bonus, the Bonvoy Amex effectively jumps back to earning 3 Marriott points per dollar spent, but only in $25,000 increments. If you only spend $24,999 you won’t receive any bonus points. Still, based on TPG’s current valuations of Marriott points, that extra point per dollar boosts your return by a respectable 0.8%. Another way to think about it is that 25,000 points is enough for a free night at a Category 4 hotel, which includes hundreds of hotels in the US and around the world. If you’re able to spend $100,000 a year, you’d take in $800 worth of bonus Marriott points and enough for a free night at any of the 6,500+ hotels in the Marriott portfolio.
Not only does this offer undeniably make the Bonvoy Amex a more compelling choice for everyday spend, it also gives it a leg up on the Marriott Bonvoy Business™ American Express® Card as well. As part of the Bonvoy rebranding, the Bonvoy Business Amex gained the ability to earn a second 35,000-point free night after you spend $60,000 on the card in a year. If you put that same spending on the Marriott Bonvoy Amex instead, you’d earn 50,000 free points to mix and match as you please as opposed to a single free night certificate worth less.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
Limited Time Offer! Earn 100,000 points with this card after spending $5,000 within the first 3 months. TPG values 100K Bonvoy points to be worth around $800. Aside from the huge welcome offer you'll earn up to $300 in statement credits each year and 1 free night every year after cardmember anniversary.
- Limited time offer: Earn 100,000 bonus Marriott Bonvoy points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases within the first 3 months. Offer ends 4/24/2019.
- Enjoy up to $300 in statement credits each year of Card Membership for eligible purchases at participating Marriott Bonvoy hotels.
- Earn 6 Marriott Bonvoy points for each dollar of eligible purchases at participating Marriott Bonvoy hotels. 3 points at U.S. restaurants and on flights booked directly with airlines. 2 points on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive 1 Free Night Award every year after your Card account anniversary. Award can be used for one night (redemption level at or under 50,000 Marriott Bonvoy points) at a participating hotel. Certain hotels have resort fees.
- Enjoy unlimited airport lounge visits when you enroll in Priority Pass™ Select membership.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $450 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees