Regional jet slides off Chicago runway as snow snarls travel
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
A regional jet slid off a runway in Chicago on Monday as an early dose of wintry weather created headaches for travelers there and elsewhere in the region.
American Airlines confirmed that an Embraer E145 regional jet flying for one of its American Eagle affiliates encountered difficulties after arriving to Chicago O’Hare (ORD) from Greensboro (GSO), North Carolina, at 7:43 a.m. local time.
“After landing, American Eagle flight 4125, operated by Envoy Air, slid off the runway due to icy conditions at Chicago O’Hare,” American said in a statement to TPG. “No injuries were reported. All 38 passengers and three crew members were deplaned from the aircraft and are now safely back in the terminal.”
At least one passenger was recording the landing when the plane lost traction and began to slide. “We’re sliding!,” one passenger could be heard saying while another simply exclaimed, “Holy!”
The incident came amid broader travel woes Monday.
At Chicago’s busy O’Hare airport, more than 390 departures and 380 arrivals had been canceled as of 1 p.m. ET, according to flight-tracking service FlightAware. That count represented nearly a quarter of all scheduled flights there on Monday. A similar number of O’Hare flights were running late, meaning about half of the entire day’s schedule at O’Hare had been either delayed or canceled.
FlightAware showed a number of other airports in the region also were experiencing high rates of delays or cancellations on Monday, including Chicago Midway (MDW), Detroit (DTW), St. Louis (STL) and Toronto Pearson (YYZ).
The disruptions come as a fast-moving storm brought an early taste of winter as it tracked east out of the upper Midwest. Several inches of snow were possible for Chicago. Elsewhere, accumulating snow was forecast across an area stretching from the Midwest into Pennsylvania, New York and New England.
Featured image: Antonio Perez/ Chicago Tribune/Tribune News Service via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees