A Record-Breaking Number of US Air Passengers Will Travel This Spring
If you’re hoping for that middle seat to stay empty as you fly to your spring getaway, think again.
Planes will be packed during spring break vacations this year as the number of US air passengers is set to increase 4.3% this spring, an all-time high for the season, according to industry group Airlines for America.
A4A predicts a recording-breaking 158.2 million passengers — about 2.59 million per day — will fly globally on US airlines between March 1 and April 30. That’s an increase of 106,000 more daily passengers compared to last year’s numbers.
“Low fares, abundant air service and a healthy economy continue to attract a record number of travelers to the skies,” John Heimlich, A4A vice president and chief economist, said in a statement. “We’re in a period of unprecedented access to air travel – flyers of all income levels have a wide array of products and providers to choose from when traveling from one city to another or one country to another.”
Domestic carriers are adding 129,000 additional seats per day to help accommodate the influx of spring travelers.
To help battle the crowds at the airport this spring, enroll in a program like TSA PreCheck or Global Entry to help bypass the snaking lines at security checkpoints. Many credit cards offer a credit for one or both programs. If you haven’t already, now is a good time to enroll — before the even busier peak summer travel season starts.
For the latest travel news, deals and points and miles tips please subscribe to The Points Guy daily email newsletter.
Featured photo by Dong Wenjie/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.