Trump pushes back Real ID compliance deadline in response to coronavirus concerns
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Editor’s note: This post has been updated to reflect the new Real ID compliance deadline of Oct. 1, 2021. The original post was published on March 23, 2020.
President Donald Trump announced Monday that the current deadline for Real ID compliance would be pushed back in light of recent events surrounding the coronavirus outbreak, including statewide lockdowns and shelter-in-place mandates.
“At a time when we’re asking Americans to maintain social distancing, we do not want to require people to go to their local DMV,” Trump said in a press briefing early Monday evening, March 23.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
While Trump did not give a new deadline at the time of his briefing, he told the press that the federal government “will be announcing the new deadline very soon.” The administration has subsequently released an updated deadline of Oct. 1, 2021.
The Real ID Act was implemented after 9/11 to set clearer standards for photo identification that passes a nationwide standard for verification. As of January, only about one-third of the nation — about 95 million Americans — hold Real ID-compliant driver’s licenses, U.S. passports and passport cards, military IDs, and Global Entry cards, all of which qualify as Real ID-compliant identification.
Officials expected to see heightened numbers at Department of Motor Vehicles offices over the coming months, as more than 180 million Americans update their driver’s licenses to comply with new ID requirements.
The federal government has long warned that non Real ID-compliant documents would no longer be accepted for travel and other official identification after Oct. 2, 2020. But that deadline has now been extended to Oct. 1, 2021.
Featured photo by Tetra Images/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees