Ready, Set, Book: Low-Cost Airlines Extend Booking Windows to 2019
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
To The Point
It is time to start checking out those early 2019 airline schedules as the major low-cost carriers such as Spirit and Frontier have now joined the traditional air carriers in making early 2019 flights available for purchase. Waiting until the last minute to search for peak family travel dates will likely result in paying more than you have to…
One of the quirks of the low-cost and ultra low-cost carriers is that their booking windows don’t extend as far into the future as the traditional major air carriers. For families looking to plan well in advance for school breaks or other major trips, this presents a real challenge. While you can book a paid or award flight on an airline such as United or American consistently about 11 months in advance, your booking window on an airline like Frontier may be as short as just five months. This can leave you crossing your fingers they will have the flights you want at the prices you can afford as the other airlines will already be six months into selling their seats by the point the low-cost carriers have fully released their schedules.
We are currently in the middle of summer, but many families are already well into planning their winter break 2018 – 2019 adventures. I’m actually unusually behind of my normal planning schedule for this winter, in part because I’ve been waiting to see what Frontier Airlines will offer for holiday flights from Houston to Denver for a potential ski trip. Thankfully, the wait is over, and Frontier Airlines joins the list of low-cost carriers to release their early 2019 booking schedules.
The Frontier Airlines booking window now extends to February 13, 2019 for Discount Den members and for those making a mileage redemption. Anyone can view their early 2019 flight times and prices, but only those with a Discount Den membership can purchase a paid flight for a few more weeks.
While we are looking at early 2019, Spirit Airlines released their early 2019 booking capabilities last month for flights until February 13, 2019.
This week, JetBlue also extended their schedule through April 30, 2019, which means that 2019 spring break flights are up for grabs!
Southwest Airlines flights are currently bookable through March 6, 2019, and on August 16, 2018, they are scheduled to extend their booking window through April 7, 2019.
How are your family’s early 2019 flight bookings shaping up?
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.