This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
It is time to start checking out those early 2019 airline schedules as the major low-cost carriers such as Spirit and Frontier have now joined the traditional air carriers in making early 2019 flights available for purchase. Waiting until the last minute to search for peak family travel dates will likely result in paying more than you have to…
One of the quirks of the low-cost and ultra low-cost carriers is that their booking windows don’t extend as far into the future as the traditional major air carriers. For families looking to plan well in advance for school breaks or other major trips, this presents a real challenge. While you can book a paid or award flight on an airline such as United or American consistently about 11 months in advance, your booking window on an airline like Frontier may be as short as just five months. This can leave you crossing your fingers they will have the flights you want at the prices you can afford as the other airlines will already be six months into selling their seats by the point the low-cost carriers have fully released their schedules.
We are currently in the middle of summer, but many families are already well into planning their winter break 2018 – 2019 adventures. I’m actually unusually behind of my normal planning schedule for this winter, in part because I’ve been waiting to see what Frontier Airlines will offer for holiday flights from Houston to Denver for a potential ski trip. Thankfully, the wait is over, and Frontier Airlines joins the list of low-cost carriers to release their early 2019 booking schedules.
The Frontier Airlines booking window now extends to February 13, 2019 for Discount Den members and for those making a mileage redemption. Anyone can view their early 2019 flight times and prices, but only those with a Discount Den membership can purchase a paid flight for a few more weeks.
While we are looking at early 2019, Spirit Airlines released their early 2019 booking capabilities last month for flights until February 13, 2019.
This week, JetBlue also extended their schedule through April 30, 2019, which means that 2019 spring break flights are up for grabs!
Southwest Airlines flights are currently bookable through March 6, 2019, and on August 16, 2018, they are scheduled to extend their booking window through April 7, 2019.
How are your family’s early 2019 flight bookings shaping up?
The American Express Platinum card has some of the best perks out there: cardholders enjoy the best domestic lounge access (Delta SkyClubs, Centurion Lounges, and Priority Pass), a $200 annual airline fee credit as well as up to $200 in Uber credits, and mid-tier elite status at SPG, Marriott, and Hilton. Combined with the 60,000 point welcome offer -- worth $1,140 based on TPG's valuations -- this card is a no-brainer for frequent travelers. Here are 5 reasons you should consider this card, as well as how you can figure out if the $550 annual fee makes sense for you.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees