This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
It is time to start checking out those early 2019 airline schedules as the major low-cost carriers such as Spirit and Frontier have now joined the traditional air carriers in making early 2019 flights available for purchase. Waiting until the last minute to search for peak family travel dates will likely result in paying more than you have to…
One of the quirks of the low-cost and ultra low-cost carriers is that their booking windows don’t extend as far into the future as the traditional major air carriers. For families looking to plan well in advance for school breaks or other major trips, this presents a real challenge. While you can book a paid or award flight on an airline such as United or American consistently about 11 months in advance, your booking window on an airline like Frontier may be as short as just five months. This can leave you crossing your fingers they will have the flights you want at the prices you can afford as the other airlines will already be six months into selling their seats by the point the low-cost carriers have fully released their schedules.
We are currently in the middle of summer, but many families are already well into planning their winter break 2018 – 2019 adventures. I’m actually unusually behind of my normal planning schedule for this winter, in part because I’ve been waiting to see what Frontier Airlines will offer for holiday flights from Houston to Denver for a potential ski trip. Thankfully, the wait is over, and Frontier Airlines joins the list of low-cost carriers to release their early 2019 booking schedules.
The Frontier Airlines booking window now extends to February 13, 2019 for Discount Den members and for those making a mileage redemption. Anyone can view their early 2019 flight times and prices, but only those with a Discount Den membership can purchase a paid flight for a few more weeks.
While we are looking at early 2019, Spirit Airlines released their early 2019 booking capabilities last month for flights until February 13, 2019.
This week, JetBlue also extended their schedule through April 30, 2019, which means that 2019 spring break flights are up for grabs!
Southwest Airlines flights are currently bookable through March 6, 2019, and on August 16, 2018, they are scheduled to extend their booking window through April 7, 2019.
How are your family’s early 2019 flight bookings shaping up?
With great travel benefits, 2x points on travel & dining and a 50,000 point sign up bonus, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great card for those looking to get into the points and miles game. Here are the top 5 reasons it should be in your wallet, or read our definitive review for more details.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred® named a 'Best Travel Credit Card' by MONEY® Magazine, 2016-2017
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Earn 5,000 bonus points after you add the first authorized user and make a purchase in the first 3 months from account opening
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $625 toward travel.
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards