Ready, Set, Book: Low-Cost Airlines Extend Booking Windows to 2019
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
To The Point
It is time to start checking out those early 2019 airline schedules as the major low-cost carriers such as Spirit and Frontier have now joined the traditional air carriers in making early 2019 flights available for purchase. Waiting until the last minute to search for peak family travel dates will likely result in paying more than you have to…
One of the quirks of the low-cost and ultra low-cost carriers is that their booking windows don’t extend as far into the future as the traditional major air carriers. For families looking to plan well in advance for school breaks or other major trips, this presents a real challenge. While you can book a paid or award flight on an airline such as United or American consistently about 11 months in advance, your booking window on an airline like Frontier may be as short as just five months. This can leave you crossing your fingers they will have the flights you want at the prices you can afford as the other airlines will already be six months into selling their seats by the point the low-cost carriers have fully released their schedules.
We are currently in the middle of summer, but many families are already well into planning their winter break 2018 – 2019 adventures. I’m actually unusually behind of my normal planning schedule for this winter, in part because I’ve been waiting to see what Frontier Airlines will offer for holiday flights from Houston to Denver for a potential ski trip. Thankfully, the wait is over, and Frontier Airlines joins the list of low-cost carriers to release their early 2019 booking schedules.
The Frontier Airlines booking window now extends to February 13, 2019 for Discount Den members and for those making a mileage redemption. Anyone can view their early 2019 flight times and prices, but only those with a Discount Den membership can purchase a paid flight for a few more weeks.
While we are looking at early 2019, Spirit Airlines released their early 2019 booking capabilities last month for flights until February 13, 2019.
This week, JetBlue also extended their schedule through April 30, 2019, which means that 2019 spring break flights are up for grabs!
Southwest Airlines flights are currently bookable through March 6, 2019, and on August 16, 2018, they are scheduled to extend their booking window through April 7, 2019.
How are your family’s early 2019 flight bookings shaping up?
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees