TPG Reader Hall of Fame: Walking the red carpet in Hollywood
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Today’s TPG Hall of Fame story comes to you courtesy of Shana, whose creative use of points and miles meant that she and her boyfriend got a chance to walk the red (or in this case, blue) carpet at the premiere of Aquaman, where they spent the evening schmoozing with some of Hollywood’s hottest stars.
Let’s check out how they did it.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
Tickets to premieres aren’t just handed out willy-nilly, but fortunately for Shana and her boyfriend, Jesse, Marriott Bonvoy Moments was auctioning off several packages of tickets. For those unfamiliar with the program, Marriott Moments are unique experiences set up for auction, with customers bidding points instead of money to win these once-in-a-lifetime opportunities. In fact, tickets to the TPG Awards are being auctioned off right now!
Shana ended up winning two tickets to the premiere with a bid of 127,500 Marriott Bonvoy points, which included red-carpet access and after-party tickets. Wanting to arrive to Hollywood in style, she and Jesse flew first class all the way to Los Angeles before checking in to the Waldorf Astoria Beverly Hills. They swung this using points and miles earned from a variety of sources, including travel rewards credit card welcome bonuses, work travel and everyday spending. Here are the cards they used:
- The Platinum Card® from American Express — Earn 100,000 Membership Rewards® Points after you spend $6,000 on purchases on the Card in your first 6 months of Card Membership. Terms apply.
- Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant™ American Express® Card — Earn 150,000 Marriott Bonvoy bonus points and a bonus free night award (redemption level worth up to 85,000 Marriott points) after you use your new card to make $5,000 in eligible purchases within the first three months of card membership. Resort fees may apply. Offer expires 11/3/2021.
Here are the points they spent:
|Program||Points Used||Current TPG valuation (cents per point)
|American Express Membership Rewards||32,000||2.00|
|American Airlines AAdvantage||100,000||1.40|
Here’s how they used them:
|Purpose||Place||Name||Class of service||Points used||Comments|
|Flight||Washington, D.C. to Los Angeles R/T||American Airlines||First||100,000||Earned via business travel|
|Hotel||Beverly Hills||Waldorf Astoria Beverly Hills||N/A||32,000||American Express (transferred to Hilton)|
|Award package||Hollywood||Marriott Bonvoy Moments Aquaman Premiere||N/A||127,500||Won at auction|
All told, Shana and Jesse spent nearly 260,000 points for their venture — a great deal, considering this trip can’t actually be purchased. Great job!
Featured photo courtesy of LPETTET/iStock by Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees