TPG Reader Hall of Fame: Walking the red carpet in Hollywood
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Today’s TPG Hall of Fame story comes to you courtesy of Shana, whose creative use of points and miles meant that she and her boyfriend got a chance to walk the red (or in this case, blue) carpet at the premiere of Aquaman, where they spent the evening schmoozing with some of Hollywood’s hottest stars.
Let’s check out how they did it.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
Tickets to premieres aren’t just handed out willy-nilly, but fortunately for Shana and her boyfriend, Jesse, Marriott Bonvoy Moments was auctioning off several packages of tickets. For those unfamiliar with the program, Marriott Moments are unique experiences set up for auction, with customers bidding points instead of money to win these once-in-a-lifetime opportunities. In fact, tickets to the TPG Awards are being auctioned off right now!
Shana ended up winning two tickets to the premiere with a bid of 127,500 Marriott Bonvoy points, which included red-carpet access and after-party tickets. Wanting to arrive to Hollywood in style, she and Jesse flew first class all the way to Los Angeles before checking in to the Waldorf Astoria Beverly Hills. They swung this using points and miles earned from a variety of sources, including travel rewards credit card welcome bonuses, work travel and everyday spending. Here are the cards they used:
- The Platinum Card® from American Express — Earn 60,000 American Express Membership Rewards points after spending $5,000 on purchases in the first three months of account opening. Terms apply.
- Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant™ American Express® Card — Earn 75,000 Marriott Bonvoy points after spending $3,000 on purchases in the first three months of account opening. Terms apply.
Here are the points they spent:
|Program||Points Used||Current TPG valuation (cents per point)
|American Express Membership Rewards||32,000||2.00|
|American Airlines AAdvantage||100,000||1.40|
Here’s how they used them:
|Purpose||Place||Name||Class of service||Points used||Comments|
|Flight||Washington, D.C. to Los Angeles R/T||American Airlines||First||100,000||Earned via business travel|
|Hotel||Beverly Hills||Waldorf Astoria Beverly Hills||N/A||32,000||American Express (transferred to Hilton)|
|Award package||Hollywood||Marriott Bonvoy Moments Aquaman Premiere||N/A||127,500||Won at auction|
All told, Shana and Jesse spent nearly 260,000 points for their venture — a great deal, considering this trip can’t actually be purchased. Great job!
Featured photo courtesy of LPETTET/iStock by Getty Images.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel