TPG Reader Hall of Fame: Earning a vacation while on vacation
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Today’s TPG Reader Hall of fame story comes to you courtesy of Kyle, whose very first award redemption (ever!) with his wife was a huge success. Not only did they fly business and first class from New York to Tokyo and then on to Hawaii, they also earned enough cash and points for an additional vacation along the way.
Let’s check out how they did it.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
Kyle and his wife had an incredible time visiting both big cities and tropical beaches — while still managing to swing flights all over the world in the pointy end of the plane.
They used their points for maximum effect to fly Japan Airlines first class and Hawaiian Airlines in business, building their stash of American Airlines Advantage miles with shopping portals, big credit card sign-up bonuses and clever maximization of spend categories. When all that wasn’t quite enough, they leveraged an American Airlines buy miles sale to top off their accounts. Here are the cards they used:
- Citi® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® World Elite Mastercard® — Earn 50,000 bonus miles after you spend $2,500 on purchases within the first three months of account opening.
- Barclaycard AAdvantage® Aviator™ Red World Elite Mastercard®– Earn 60,000 bonus miles and a companion certificate after your first purchase and payment of the annual fee in the first 90 days of opening your account.
The information for the Citi AAdvantage Platinum card, Barclaycard AAdvantage® Aviator™ Red World Elite Mastercard® has been collected independently by The Points Guy. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer
Though they chose to pay cash for their hotels over this twelve day trip, they did it with style — by opening a Marriott Premier Plus credit card (closed to new applicants) and earning the sign-up bonus with spend on their stays. Even better, they took the opportunity to complete a Marriott status challenge, which meant they were able to achieve Platinum Elite status by maximizing their vacation days. After all was said and done, they walked away with 266,570 Marriott points to use for a future vacation.
Of course, that’s not all they earned. Thanks to an overbooked flight on the way home, Kyle and his wife scored $1,200 each to spend an extra five hours in Hawaii, walking away with a total of $2,400 in flight vouchers. They later put these to good use with round-trip premium economy tickets to Vietnam.
All told, they redeemed 300,000 American Airlines AAdvantage miles for their flights. Here’s a breakdown of how they spent them:
|Flights||City||Name||Class of Service||Points Used||Comments|
|Flight||Louisville to New York City (LGA)||American Airlines||Economy||N/A||Paid $120|
|Flight||New York City (JFK) to Narita (NRT)||Japan Airlines||First||150,000||American Airlines miles|
|Flight||Narita to Honolulu to Maui||Hawaiian Airlines||Business||105,000||American Airlines miles|
|Flight||Maui to Los Angeles to Lousiville||American Airlines||Economy||45,000||American Airlines miles|
Kyle and his wife came out ahead on their vacation, spending a phenomenal twelve days in some of the best first-class seats around and still managing to earn 266,570 points and $2,400. Now that’s an amazing redemption!
Feature photo courtesy of Kyle Parks.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.