Rakuten offering 3x Amex points, cash back for Memorial Day at select stores
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Popular online shopping portal Rakuten has a Memorial Day promotion offering a generous 3x (or more) the ordinary cash back or Amex points rate on purchases at participating retailers.
Heading to your favorite retailer’s website first without doing this one small step to your online shopping plan is equivalent to leaving free points or cash on the table.
Rakuten — formerly known as Ebates — allows you to select either cash back or American Express Membership Rewards points when you shop online. If you’re looking to take advantage of Rakuten’s holiday weekend promo (or simply looking to make the most of your online purchases), now could be a great time to get ahead of your upcoming summer purchases.
For more TPG news, deals and points and miles tips delivered each morning to your inbox, subscribe to our daily newsletter.
What you need to know
The promotion runs from today through Monday and features 84 retailers on the sale page for in-store and online purchases. Stores are offering 3% – 22.5% cash back (or 3x – 22.5x Amex points). Noteworthy retailers that are offering a nice return rate on purchases are:
- Forever 21 15%
- New Balance Factory Store 12%
- Michaels 10%
- Adidas 9%
- Dell 8% (stack with Amex Biz Platinum Dell credit and Dell Rewards)
- Macy’s 6%
- Nike at 6%
- Banana Republic 6%
In 2019, Rakuten added the ability to earn American Express Membership Rewards instead of cash back, proving lucrative as TPG values Amex points at 2 cents each, effectively doubling the cash back rate Rakuten offers.
Use the right credit card
The rewards you earn through Rakuten are in addition to the points or miles on the actual rewards credit card you use, allowing you to double-dip your rewards. So it’s important to use the right credit card when making online purchases and pay attention to any bonus categories that might apply to the merchant at which you’re shopping. If there’s no additional bonus or discount potential, you’ll want to use a card that has high earning rates on everyday spending.
If you have purchases coming up, this weekend may be optimal for making them with Rakuten’s promo offers. This promotion is an easy way to boost your rewards, but you’ll need to act fast as it’ll only be available until Monday.
Additional reporting by Juan Ruiz.
Featured image by LWA/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees