A Rare Natural Phenomenon Has Created a Rainbow Lake in Australia
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The Outback is going technicolor.
Australia’s Kati Thanda-Lake Eyre, a normally dry desert lake basin north of Adelaide, is experiencing a rare flood that only occurs every three to 10 years. When water rushes into the basin, the salt of the lakebed mixes with the flood water to create the perfect conditions for algae to grow, which causes a rainbow effect in the water.
Vivid blues, pastel pinks and rich golden hues are tinting the flood waters like a kaleidoscope.
— Australia (@Australia) April 5, 2018
The desert has been flooded by tropical rains in Queensland, which rushed more than 60 miles into the lake bed.
— Richard Smith (@RSIT_Richard) July 3, 2018
Experts aren’t sure how long the dreamy rainbow effect will last, so tourists interested in seeing the surreal waters should use their points and miles to get to Australia and book an aerial tour of the region as soon as possible. (Here are two good options for tour companies).
Featured image by Lachlan Swan via Instagram.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees