Police in the UK Have Identified the Racist Ryanair Passenger
Police in the UK have identified the racist Ryanair passenger who verbally assaulted his seatmate aboard a plane last week.
The initial incident, which occurred on a Ryanair flight from Barcelona (BCN) to London Stansted (STN), involved an elderly white man shouting racist remarks at 77-year-old Delsie Gayle, who was sitting at the end of his row. “I will carry on as far as I can with this ugly black bastard,” he said to Gayle, in addition to other abusive remarks such as: “Don’t speak to me in a foreign language, you stupid ugly cow.”
The dispute ended up escalating to the point that the flight crew removed Gayle from her seat to sit next to her daughter. The elderly man, despite urgings from fellow passengers, remained on the plane with the row to himself. Ryanair also neglected to reach out to Gayle or make a public statement until a video of the incident went viral, which prompted widespread backlash for how the airline handled the situation.
The airline has since released a public apology and reported the incident to the Sussex Police, who confirmed on Tuesday they had identified the male passenger.
The Sussex Police have since passed on this information to the Spanish police, who have been leading the investigation since the beginning. Barcelona’s deputy mayor, Jaume Asens, tweeted in support of Gayle and stated that “Barcelona is a welcoming and anti-racist city.” Asens has also insisted that the matter will be reported to the public prosecutor to further investigate if the altercation could be a considered a hate crime by law. With the two main parties identified, officials are now looking to track down other witnesses aboard the plane as well as the passenger who recorded the entire ordeal.
Featured image by PATRICIA DE MELO MOREIRA/AFP/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.