Police in the UK Have Identified the Racist Ryanair Passenger
Police in the UK have identified the racist Ryanair passenger who verbally assaulted his seatmate aboard a plane last week.
The initial incident, which occurred on a Ryanair flight from Barcelona (BCN) to London Stansted (STN), involved an elderly white man shouting racist remarks at 77-year-old Delsie Gayle, who was sitting at the end of his row. “I will carry on as far as I can with this ugly black bastard,” he said to Gayle, in addition to other abusive remarks such as: “Don’t speak to me in a foreign language, you stupid ugly cow.”
The dispute ended up escalating to the point that the flight crew removed Gayle from her seat to sit next to her daughter. The elderly man, despite urgings from fellow passengers, remained on the plane with the row to himself. Ryanair also neglected to reach out to Gayle or make a public statement until a video of the incident went viral, which prompted widespread backlash for how the airline handled the situation.
The airline has since released a public apology and reported the incident to the Sussex Police, who confirmed on Tuesday they had identified the male passenger.
The Sussex Police have since passed on this information to the Spanish police, who have been leading the investigation since the beginning. Barcelona’s deputy mayor, Jaume Asens, tweeted in support of Gayle and stated that “Barcelona is a welcoming and anti-racist city.” Asens has also insisted that the matter will be reported to the public prosecutor to further investigate if the altercation could be a considered a hate crime by law. With the two main parties identified, officials are now looking to track down other witnesses aboard the plane as well as the passenger who recorded the entire ordeal.
Featured image by PATRICIA DE MELO MOREIRA/AFP/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees