Qatar Airways Adds World’s Best Business Class to Cape Town
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
From the first Qatar Airways US nonstop, launching on United from Newark (EWR) later this year, to this latest development, it’ll soon be easier — or at least far more comfortable — to get to Cape Town, South Africa (CPT).
As Traveling For Miles notes, beginning November 17, Qatar Airways will be flying an Airbus A350-1000 on the Doha (DOH)-Cape Town route, replacing the standard 1-2-1 reverse-herringbone product on the A350-900 with the carrier’s far-superior Qsuite, our top business-class pick.
Once Qsuite service kicks off on the DOH-CPT route, you’ll be able to fly Qatar’s top product all the way from the US to the South African capital. Currently, Qatar offers Qsuite on the US routes listed below, though the carrier’s adding service to several other cities soon, too.
- Boston (BOS): QR Flights 743/744 (Boeing 777-300ER)
- Chicago (ORD): QR Flights 725/726 (Boeing 777-300ER)
- Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW): QR Flights 729/730 (Airbus A350-1000)
- Houston (IAH): QR Flights 713/714 (Airbus A350-1000)
- Los Angeles (LAX): QR Flights 739/740 (Boeing 777-200LR)
- New York Kennedy (JFK): QR Flights 701/702 (Boeing 777-300ER) and 703/704 (Airbus A350-1000)
- Washington Dulles (IAD): QR Flights 707/708 (Boeing 777-300ER)
While award space appears to be wide open on the flight between Doha and Cape Town, you might have some trouble finding availability from the US. If you do find business class open on your dates, your most straightforward option is to redeem 75,000 American AAdvantage miles each way.
Alternatively, Qatar consistently offers excellent paid fares between Montreal (YUL) and Cape Town, though you’ll need to position to Canada.
$3,407 Canadian works out to just $2,574 US — a very reasonable fare for Qatar’s phenomenal Qsuite product, all the way to South Africa.
For more on flying Qatar’s Qsuite, see:
- The Ultimate Guide to Qatar QSuite
- When and Where Qsuite Is Flying to the US
- Flying Qatar Qsuite as a Group of 4
For the latest travel news, deals and points and miles tips please subscribe to The Points Guy daily email newsletter.
WELCOME OFFER: 30,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: up to $100 annual CLEAR statement credit, up to $100 annual LoungeBuddy statement credit, 3x points on travel and transit, 3x points on restaurants worldwide
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 30,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $2,000 on purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points on all eligible travel, from subway swipes and window seats to hotel stays and city tours.
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points at restaurants worldwide.
- Receive up to $100 per year in statement credits when you use the American Express® Green Card to pay for your CLEAR® membership at select airports and stadiums across the U.S. and Permissible Biometric Scanning Technology terms: eye scanning, irises scanning and fingerprints scanning.
- Use the American Express® Green Card to purchase lounge access through LoungeBuddy to any of the lounges in the LoungeBuddy network – no memberships, elite statuses, or first class tickets required. Earn up to $100 in statement credits per calendar year on your LoungeBuddy purchases.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $150 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees