Qatar Airways Buys 5% Stake in China Southern
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Doha-based carrier Qatar Airways has bought a 5% stake in China’s largest airline, China Southern, the companies announced Wednesday.
According to Qatar, the acquisition became official on Dec. 28, 2018, but it did not disclose how much the stake in Guangzhou-based China Southern cost.
The new purchase is not out of the ordinary for Qatar, a carrier that holds many stakes in other airlines and aviation ventures, including a 20% share in British Airways’ owner IAG aviation group, a 10% stake in Cathay Pacific, a 10% stake in South American airline LATAM and a “minority stake” in private jet charter firm JetSuiteX.
The deal follows China Southern’s recent departure from the SkyTeam alliance, as well as Qatar’s looming threats to leave its respective airline alliance, Oneworld, due to its ongoing feud with partner American Airlines.
One of Qatar’s largest airline shares — its 49% stake in Air Italy — has recently rekindled a years-long standoff between the Gulf carrier and the three major US airlines. Delta, American and United have accused Qatar of using its minority Air Italy stake to circumvent a pledge against operating fifth freedom flights out of the US.
In June 2017, Qatar attempted to buy a 10% stake in American Airlines, which the carrier swiftly condemned, calling the idea “puzzling, at best, and concerning, at worst.” Qatar said it wouldn’t buy more than a 4.75% stake without approval from AA’s board and backed off the acquisition.
The stake in China Southern will be useful for Qatar down the line, as China is predicted to be the world’s largest aviation market by 2022, according to analysis from the International Air Transport Association.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees