Qantas launches 1st nonstop flight from Australia to mainland Europe – ahead of Project Sunrise
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The new route will fly three times per week, and it’s Qantas’ first nonstop link to mainland Europe.
Australia’s flag carrier already offers a direct route from Australia to the United Kingdom, with nonstop flights from Perth to London’s Heathrow Airport (LHR) which launched in 2018. These flights were paused in 2020 due to COVID-19-related travel restrictions but recently resumed in May. Currently, Qantas is the only airline to connect the U.K. and Australia directly without stopovers. The journey on the Qantas Dreamliner covers 9,008 miles and takes 16 hours and 45 minutes.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
These routes are precursors to Qantas’ Project Sunrise — the long-discussed plan to fly passengers directly from Sydney and Melbourne (which are located on the east coast of Australia) to London, Paris and New York City.
What is Qantas’ Project Sunrise?
Project Sunrise is the (rather cool) name for Qantas’ efforts to introduce ultra-long-haul flights from Sydney and Melbourne directly to Europe and North America by the end of 2025.
Qantas does currently offer U.K. routes to other Australian cities beyond Perth – Adelaide, Brisbane, Broome and Darwin, as well as Melbourne and Sydney – but these flights all involve at least one stopover (adding a varying number of hours to passenger journeys).
As for the U.S., a number of airlines offer direct flights from Los Angeles International Airport (LAX) and other cities to Sydney and Melbourne – but none fly directly from New York or the East Coast.
The Project Sunrise route has already been tested: Qantas ran a historic test flight from New York to Sydney back in November 2019, called QF 787-9.
QF 787-9 left John F. Kennedy International Airport (JFK) on a Friday at 9:27 p.m. and landed at Sydney Airport (SYD) on a Sunday at 7:43 a.m. It covered more than 10,000 miles and was in the air for 19 hours and 16 minutes, according to the plane’s captain.
Notably, the plane flew with the maximum amount of fuel possible, and a minimal number of passengers and crew on board.
Work on Qantas’ Project Sunrise is still underway, but in the meantime, the airline has launched a new route from Perth to Rome. This impressive long-haul journey is the first nonstop flight from Australia to mainland Europe. Despite the pandemic putting a firm halt on all things travel in 2020 and 2021, Qantas confirmed in a May announcement that it had ordered 12 A350-1000 aircraft from Airbus, and said Project Sunrise is expected to launch in late 2025.
Featured photo by Lea Scaddan/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees