This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Qantas business class flyers are getting a pre-departure upgrade — those flying in premium cabins out of SFO will now have access to the Cathay Pacific lounge, Qantas’ Oneworld partner. In the past, Qantas flyers could only visit the Air France-KLM lounge, which wasn’t known for being the fanciest international business class lounge.
Qantas operates nonstop year-round flights from San Francisco (SFO) to both Sydney (SYD) and Melbourne (MEL).
The Cathay Pacific lounge presents a bit of an upgrade to Air France’s offerings. Travelers will enjoy more food, seating and amenities including a noodle bar, shower suites and computer workstations.
Entrance to Cathay’s lounge is permitted to those traveling in business class on Qantas, Qantas elites and Oneworld Emerald and Sapphire elites. Qantas Club members (the airline’s lounge membership program) will still have access to the Air France lounge.
“While relatively compact, it’s nowhere near as crowded or cluttered as the Air France/KLM lounge, and also fares much better if you want to grab dinner ahead of your 10pm flight,” Australian Business Traveller writes about Cathay’s SFO space.
Qantas launched four weekly Boeing 787 flights between San Francisco and Melbourne last September and flies one of its last nine Boeing 747s to Sydney. Being a member of the Oneworld alliance, you can book Qantas flights with American Airlines miles — one-way tickets from the US to Australia start at 40,000 miles in economy and 80,000 miles in business.
Featured image by Bill Abbott / Flickr.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber credits annually
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees