This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Qantas business class flyers are getting a pre-departure upgrade — those flying in premium cabins out of SFO will now have access to the Cathay Pacific lounge, Qantas’ Oneworld partner. In the past, Qantas flyers could only visit the Air France-KLM lounge, which wasn’t known for being the fanciest international business class lounge.
Qantas operates nonstop year-round flights from San Francisco (SFO) to both Sydney (SYD) and Melbourne (MEL).
The Cathay Pacific lounge presents a bit of an upgrade to Air France’s offerings. Travelers will enjoy more food, seating and amenities including a noodle bar, shower suites and computer workstations.
Entrance to Cathay’s lounge is permitted to those traveling in business class on Qantas, Qantas elites and Oneworld Emerald and Sapphire elites. Qantas Club members (the airline’s lounge membership program) will still have access to the Air France lounge.
“While relatively compact, it’s nowhere near as crowded or cluttered as the Air France/KLM lounge, and also fares much better if you want to grab dinner ahead of your 10pm flight,” Australian Business Traveller writes about Cathay’s SFO space.
Qantas launched four weekly Boeing 787 flights between San Francisco and Melbourne last September and flies one of its last nine Boeing 747s to Sydney. Being a member of the Oneworld alliance, you can book Qantas flights with American Airlines miles — one-way tickets from the US to Australia start at 40,000 miles in economy and 80,000 miles in business.
Featured image by Bill Abbott / Flickr.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
Aside from the 75,000 points welcome bonus, Amex recently made huge improvements to the Business Platinum Card, including the fact that you will now earn 50% more points on purchases of $5,000 or more, earn 5x on flights and eligible hotels at Amextravel.com and cardholders will receive a $200 airline fee credit each year.
- Welcome Offer: Earn up to 75,000 Membership Rewards® points.
- Earn 50,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $10,000 and an extra 25,000 points after you spend an additional $10,000 all on qualifying purchases within your first 3 months of Card Membership.
- Get 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights and prepaid hotels on amextravel.com.
- Get 50% more Membership Rewards® points. That's 1.5 points per dollar, on each eligible purchase of $5,000 or more. You can get up to 1 million additional points per year.
- 35% Airline Bonus: Use Membership Rewards® Pay with Points for all or part of a flight with your selected qualifying airline, and you can get 35% of the points back, up to 500,000 bonus points per calendar year.
- Enroll to get up to $200 in statement credits annually by getting up to $100 semi-annually for U.S. purchases with Dell. Terms apply.
- Get one year of Platinum Global Access from WeWork. With this membership, you can access 300+ premium, inspiring workspaces in 75+ cities. To get this exclusive offer, enroll between 2/15/2019 and 12/31/2019.
- Terms Apply
- See Rates & Fees