This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Qantas business class flyers are getting a pre-departure upgrade — those flying in premium cabins out of SFO will now have access to the Cathay Pacific lounge, Qantas’ Oneworld partner. In the past, Qantas flyers could only visit the Air France-KLM lounge, which wasn’t known for being the fanciest international business class lounge.
Qantas operates nonstop year-round flights from San Francisco (SFO) to both Sydney (SYD) and Melbourne (MEL).
The Cathay Pacific lounge presents a bit of an upgrade to Air France’s offerings. Travelers will enjoy more food, seating and amenities including a noodle bar, shower suites and computer workstations.
Entrance to Cathay’s lounge is permitted to those traveling in business class on Qantas, Qantas elites and Oneworld Emerald and Sapphire elites. Qantas Club members (the airline’s lounge membership program) will still have access to the Air France lounge.
“While relatively compact, it’s nowhere near as crowded or cluttered as the Air France/KLM lounge, and also fares much better if you want to grab dinner ahead of your 10pm flight,” Australian Business Traveller writes about Cathay’s SFO space.
Qantas launched four weekly Boeing 787 flights between San Francisco and Melbourne last September and flies one of its last nine Boeing 747s to Sydney. Being a member of the Oneworld alliance, you can book Qantas flights with American Airlines miles — one-way tickets from the US to Australia start at 40,000 miles in economy and 80,000 miles in business.
Featured image by Bill Abbott / Flickr.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
Earn unlimited 10x miles on hotel stays booked and paid through hotels.com/venture. Pair that with the Hotels.com Rewards program and you'll essentially be getting 20% off of hotel bookings! With the 50,000 mile sign-up bonus you can get up to $700 in value based on TPG's most recent valuations and you'll have the flexibility to transfer those miles to participating airline partners or redeem those miles on any purchase for airfare, hotel stays, car rentals and more.
- Enjoy a one-time bonus of 50,000 miles once you spend $3,000 on purchases within 3 months from account opening, equal to $500 in travel
- Earn 2X miles on every purchase, every day. Plus earn 10X miles on thousands of hotels, through January 2020; learn more at hotels.com/venture
- Named ‘The Best Travel Card' by CNBC, 2018
- Receive up to $100 application fee credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®
- Fly any airline, stay at any hotel, anytime; no blackout dates. Plus transfer your miles to over 12 leading travel loyalty programs
- Miles won't expire for the life of the account and there's no limit to how many you can earn
- No foreign transaction fees
- $0 intro annual fee for the first year; $95 after that