Qantas Biz and Elite Flyers Now Have Access to Cathay Pacific’s SFO Lounge
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Qantas business class flyers are getting a pre-departure upgrade — those flying in premium cabins out of SFO will now have access to the Cathay Pacific lounge, Qantas’ Oneworld partner. In the past, Qantas flyers could only visit the Air France-KLM lounge, which wasn’t known for being the fanciest international business class lounge.
Qantas operates nonstop year-round flights from San Francisco (SFO) to both Sydney (SYD) and Melbourne (MEL).
The Cathay Pacific lounge presents a bit of an upgrade to Air France’s offerings. Travelers will enjoy more food, seating and amenities including a noodle bar, shower suites and computer workstations.
Entrance to Cathay’s lounge is permitted to those traveling in business class on Qantas, Qantas elites and Oneworld Emerald and Sapphire elites. Qantas Club members (the airline’s lounge membership program) will still have access to the Air France lounge.
“While relatively compact, it’s nowhere near as crowded or cluttered as the Air France/KLM lounge, and also fares much better if you want to grab dinner ahead of your 10pm flight,” Australian Business Traveller writes about Cathay’s SFO space.
Qantas launched four weekly Boeing 787 flights between San Francisco and Melbourne last September and flies one of its last nine Boeing 747s to Sydney. Being a member of the Oneworld alliance, you can book Qantas flights with American Airlines miles — one-way tickets from the US to Australia start at 40,000 miles in economy and 80,000 miles in business.
Featured image by Bill Abbott / Flickr.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees