Qantas’ latest flight to nowhere will give passengers a scenic view of the supermoon
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The airline is selling only 100 seats on one of its 787 Dreamliners for the special flight, promising spectacular views of the lunar event on the day when the moon will be at its closest point to the earth. The second and final supermoon of 2021 will happen at the same time as a full lunar eclipse, meaning passengers can expect a double phenomenon with the moon turning red against the evening sky.
For those who are already in Australia, fares for the special flight start at $499 AUD (about £387) for economy (with a Qantas Points earn of 1,500 points plus 20 Status Credits), $899 AUD (about $698) for premium economy (Qantas Points earn of 2,500 and 40 Status Credits) and $1,499 AUD (about $1,164) for business class (4,000 Qantas Points earn plus 80 Status Credits).
“We have been absolutely overwhelmed with the popularity of our special flights,” Qantas Chief Customer Officer Stephani Tully said in a statement. “The recent mystery flights sold out within 15 minutes with hundreds of people on waiting lists and they keep telling us they want more.”
The 787 Dreamliner is ideal for this type of sky-high sightseeing trip, since it has the largest windows of any passenger plane.
The three-hour supermoon flight will take off from and return to Sydney. It will include a flyover of Sydney Harbour before climbing above the clouds to a cruising altitude of 43,000 feet, the max for a Dreamliner, to enjoy optimal views of the supermoon and lunar eclipse.
The route was designed to appeal to travelers with an affinity for astronomy and science as well as aviation. There will even be an astronomer on board. Dr Vanessa Moss from The Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation is partnering with the pilots to design the optimal flight path over the Pacific Ocean to provide the best views. She will also provide insights into supermoons and lunar eclipses during the flight.
As with its previous flights to nowhere, Qantas says it will operate the supermoon route with net-zero emissions, with 100% of emissions carbon offset.
These flights without destinations were an inventive workaround the airline devised to help keep some of its long-haul jets in the air during the coronavirus pandemic, as well as satisfy the travel itch of some of its customers. Australia’s strict COVID-19 rules have prevented Australians from leaving the country without written government approval, so these scenic flights have provided a chance for frequent travelers to get their air miles in.
Past flights to nowhere included a seven-hour “Great Southern Land” flight over iconic Aussie sights such as the Great Barrier Reef. Other airlines have gotten creative about delivering some parts of the flight experience to their travel-starved customers. Singapore Airlines, for example, planned but canceled plans for its own flights to nowhere after complaints about its environmental impact. Instead, it has offered passengers a chance to enjoy first-class dining experiences aboard a parked Airbus A380 jumbo jet.
Featured photo courtesy of Qantas.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees