How Two Qantas 737s Narrowly Avoided a Collision in Perth
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
It’s been quite the season for commercial aviation mishaps and near-misses. The Australian Transport Safety Bureau (ATSB) is investigating a serious incident from April 28, when two Qantas Boeing 737s nearly collided on a runway at Perth International Airport (PER).
Qantas Flight 567 had just landed on Perth’s runway 03 from Sydney around 2:40 pm local time, crossing paths with Qantas Flight 582 on the opposite route, departing for Sydney from Perth. According to the initial ATSB report, Flight 567 “was required to hold short of runway 06. The aircraft passed the holding point, and stopped just past the holding point.”
The flight crews were able to avoid disaster after Flight 582 aborted its take-off, after a frantic warning from air traffic controllers to “‘Stop immediately, stop immediately, runway incursion ahead,” according to voice recordings investigated by the ATSB. One second after the warning to Flight 582, controllers notified Flight 567 that “You have crossed a stop bar and runway incursion — hold position.” The pilot of Flight 567 braked hard enough to cause some passengers to hit their heads against the seats in front of them, causing bruises, according to passenger Kylie Jenkins.
According to the ATSB, the section of runway where the near-collision occurred is a known hot-spot for incursions, which occur when unauthorized aircraft, vehicles or people cross a runway. The point that QF567 overshot is marked with a runway stop bar, which is designed to prevent aircraft and vehicles from inadvertently entering a runway without clearance from the air traffic control tower.
The ATSB will interview the flight crews as well as the staff on duty in the Perth control tower, as well as examining all recorded data. Qantas has offered full cooperation throughout the process, and is also conducting its own investigation. The investigation process is expected to take up to a year to complete.
TPG has reached out to Qantas for comment, but had received no response as of the time of this post.
Just two days ago, the US Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) released updates from its ongoing investigation of similar incidents at San Francisco International Airport (SFO). While not a runway incursion, a near-disaster occurred at SFO last July, when an incoming Air Canada A320 nearly landed on top of four aircraft waiting to take off.
Featured image courtesy of Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees