This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
“Please place your phone on airplane mode” is a phrase flyers have heard all too often.
While many comply, others blatantly disregard the rules, because well, what could really happen? The cabin crew requests switching to airplane mode for safety reasons, but the fact that we don’t hear much about flight complications due to cell phone use leaves travelers skeptical on whether it’s really an issue. If safety wasn’t convincing enough for travelers, perhaps a hefty cell phone bill will be more of a deterrent.
One man on a recent Aer Lingus flight found out the hard way exactly what could happen when a phone isn’t switched into airplane mode. The passenger was shocked to receive a massive bill from AT&T weeks after his transatlantic flight to the US. The man did not place his phone on airplane mode before he stowed it away in the overhead compartment. Even though he did not use his phone during the flight, his negligence cost him almost $300 in roaming charges.
AT&T told The Irish Times that it is possible for phones to rack up roaming charges while on board. AT&T explained that there are “antennas installed on the plane that operate outside an unlimited international roaming plan,” and that they can “automatically connect with phones that are not in flight mode and run up charges – even when the phones are not in use.”
Additionally, Aer Lingus confirmed that it’s possible for passengers to be hit with high bills by their phone carriers, and said the airline does not make any money as a result. Aer Lingus also stressed that they would not be responsible for any passengers who ignore the rules.
Follow instructions, turn on airplane mode and connect to Wi-Fi to avoid making this costly mistake. To maximize your savings, take advantage of the free inflight Wi-Fi offered with these credit cards.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
LIMITED TIME OFFER: 70,000 Miles
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION: $980
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2x miles on AA purchases plus 2x miles at gas stations and at telecommunications merchants, cable and satellite providers and car rental merchants. Get your first checked bag free.
- Designed for businesses
- For a limited time: Earn 70,000 American Airlines AAdvantage® bonus miles after making $4,000 in purchases in first 4 months of account opening*
- First checked bag is free on domestic American Airlines itineraries to reduce travel costs and boost your bottom line*
- 25% savings on American Airlines inflight Wi-Fi when you use your card*
- Enjoy preferred boarding on American Airlines flights*
- Earn 2 AAdvantage® miles per $1 spent on eligible American Airlines purchases
- Earn 2 AAdvantage® miles per $1 spent on purchases at telecommunications merchants, cable and satellite providers, car rental merchants and at gas stations*
- Earn 1 AAdvantage® mile per $1 spent on other purchases*
- No Foreign Transaction Fees*