If You Don’t Put Your Phone on Airplane Mode, It Could Cost You
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
“Please place your phone on airplane mode” is a phrase flyers have heard all too often.
While many comply, others blatantly disregard the rules, because well, what could really happen? The cabin crew requests switching to airplane mode for safety reasons, but the fact that we don’t hear much about flight complications due to cell phone use leaves travelers skeptical on whether it’s really an issue. If safety wasn’t convincing enough for travelers, perhaps a hefty cell phone bill will be more of a deterrent.
One man on a recent Aer Lingus flight found out the hard way exactly what could happen when a phone isn’t switched into airplane mode. The passenger was shocked to receive a massive bill from AT&T weeks after his transatlantic flight to the US. The man did not place his phone on airplane mode before he stowed it away in the overhead compartment. Even though he did not use his phone during the flight, his negligence cost him almost $300 in roaming charges.
AT&T told The Irish Times that it is possible for phones to rack up roaming charges while on board. AT&T explained that there are “antennas installed on the plane that operate outside an unlimited international roaming plan,” and that they can “automatically connect with phones that are not in flight mode and run up charges – even when the phones are not in use.”
Additionally, Aer Lingus confirmed that it’s possible for passengers to be hit with high bills by their phone carriers, and said the airline does not make any money as a result. Aer Lingus also stressed that they would not be responsible for any passengers who ignore the rules.
Follow instructions, turn on airplane mode and connect to Wi-Fi to avoid making this costly mistake. To maximize your savings, take advantage of the free inflight Wi-Fi offered with these credit cards.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees