Public Transportation Systems Eyeing Reward Programs for Riders
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
A new article by Wired says your next loyalty program might just be for public transportation. Over the past few years, most public transportations systems have seen a decline in ridership and are looking for new ways to gain those customers back. Now, a number of public transportation systems in the United States are looking at how reward programs might play into gaining back ridership.
The Bay Area Rapid Transit system, also known as BART, implemented two pilot programs between 2016 and 2019 to test if riders would be willing to accept cash rewards for changing the time of their commute to off-peak hours. During the first test, BART said they got around 10% of the targeted ridership to make the change. BART is currently reviewing the success of the second program, which ended on June 30, 2019.
The Contra Costa Transportation Authority started a program by which people are rewarded based on the mode of transportation they use, which is tracked by their smartphone. For example, walking a single mile gains a bigger reward than driving the same distance. Users are able to redeem rewards for things like gift cards to Starbuck or other local retailers.
For now, most of these programs are still in the early stages. The biggest stumbling block for many of the public transit systems won’t be to design a rewards program that riders like and want to engage with, but rather to have a service that is worth using in order to take advantage of the rewards benefits. No matter how good the rewards program might be, if the service provided isn’t worth it, the rewards program won’t matter much.
For the latest travel news, deals and points and miles tips please subscribe to The Points Guy daily email newsletter.
Featured Photo via Smith Collection/Gado/Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.