6 presents to give the frequent flyer in your life
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
EDITOR’S NOTE: This post has been updated to reflect that TPG is a sister company of ExpertFlyer.
It’s not always easy finding something to buy that special someone. With Christmas just around the corner, last-minute present buyers might benefit from a bit of travel-themed inspiration.
A solid set of wheels
First things first: If you travel a lot, your suitcase will certainly rack up some baggage belt miles, too. You need durability, light weight, practicality — and why not throw in a bit of style to boot?
For a like-for-like comparison, Macys has an extensive selection of more than 400 suitcases by various brands that range from a very affordable $65 to upwards of $1,550. What’s more, you can earn up to 6 miles per $1 spent through the American Airlines AAdvantage eShopping mall.
In-flight personal device holder
At a time when we’re glued to the screens of our personal devices more than ever, reliance upon airlines’ inflight entertainment is becoming less and less. But how does one comfortably watch shows and films without getting an aching arm? Enter TabletHookz, possibly the perfect gift for the frequent economy class flyer. The company sells a nifty gadget that adjusts to fit most airplane seat backs as well as personal hand-held devices in all shapes and sizes.
If you’re flying in economy and don’t have any airline elite status, spending time in an airport before a flight can be a rather stressful start to any holiday or business trip. Thanks to The Platinum Card® from American Express, you can get access to Priority Pass lounges across the world (enrollment required). If your traveler doesn’t have the card, you can buy a membership outright. You can get different memberships depending on how often your travelling recipient flies.
Related reading: 9 of the best Priority Pass lounges around the world
ExpertFlyer is a tool that most TPGers and AvGeeks swear by. Having an ExpertFlyer membership gives you access to all the information you would need to know about your flight including seat maps, schedules and flight status. More importantly, it helps you to find reward availability as well as the power to set up alerts when seats become available. There are three different membership options, ranging from completely free to $99 per year.
ExpertFlyer is owned by the parent company of The Points Guy, Red Ventures.
According to one of TPG’s most frequent flyers, Zach Griff, there are several reasons why Apple’s new AirPods Pro should be on every traveller’s wish list. Prices start at $159. Don’t forget to check portals to earn maximum miles for your Apple purchases.
Seat extenders for children
It wouldn’t be Christmas without including the kids. Turning a child’s plane seat into a bed is not only more comfortable for them, but will undoubtedly make a parent’s experience far more enjoyable, too. There are several options available, with prices starting as low as $89 for the Fly Tot.
If you’ve still got something to buy the frequent flyer in your life, you still have plenty of options. When you do make your purchase, make sure you use a shopping portal to maximise your points — and at the same time make that traveler in your life very happy.
Featured image by Cornecoba/Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees