6 presents to give the frequent flyer in your life
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
EDITOR’S NOTE: This post has been updated to reflect that TPG is a sister company of ExpertFlyer.
It’s not always easy finding something to buy that special someone. With Christmas just around the corner, last-minute present buyers might benefit from a bit of travel-themed inspiration.
A solid set of wheels
First things first: If you travel a lot, your suitcase will certainly rack up some baggage belt miles, too. You need durability, light weight, practicality — and why not throw in a bit of style to boot?
For a like-for-like comparison, Macys has an extensive selection of more than 400 suitcases by various brands that range from a very affordable $65 to upwards of $1,550. What’s more, you can earn up to 6 miles per $1 spent through the American Airlines AAdvantage eShopping mall.
In-flight personal device holder
At a time when we’re glued to the screens of our personal devices more than ever, reliance upon airlines’ inflight entertainment is becoming less and less. But how does one comfortably watch shows and films without getting an aching arm? Enter TabletHookz, possibly the perfect gift for the frequent economy class flyer. The company sells a nifty gadget that adjusts to fit most airplane seat backs as well as personal hand-held devices in all shapes and sizes.
If you’re flying in economy and don’t have any airline elite status, spending time in an airport before a flight can be a rather stressful start to any holiday or business trip. Thanks to The Platinum Card® from American Express, you can get access to Priority Pass lounges across the world. If your traveler doesn’t have the card, you can buy a membership outright. You can get different memberships depending on how often your travelling recipient flies.
Related reading: 9 of the best Priority Pass lounges around the world
ExpertFlyer is a tool that most TPGers and AvGeeks swear by. Having an ExpertFlyer membership gives you access to all the information you would need to know about your flight including seat maps, schedules and flight status. More importantly, it helps you to find reward availability as well as the power to set up alerts when seats become available. There are three different membership options, ranging from completely free to $99 per year.
ExpertFlyer is owned by the parent company of The Points Guy, Red Ventures.
According to one of TPG’s most frequent flyers, Zach Griff, there are several reasons why Apple’s new AirPods Pro should be on every traveller’s wish list. Prices start at $159. Don’t forget to check portals to earn maximum miles for your Apple purchases.
Seat extenders for children
It wouldn’t be Christmas without including the kids. Turning a child’s plane seat into a bed is not only more comfortable for them, but will undoubtedly make a parent’s experience far more enjoyable, too. There are several options available, with prices starting as low as $89 for the Fly Tot.
If you’ve still got something to buy the frequent flyer in your life, you still have plenty of options. When you do make your purchase, make sure you use a shopping portal to maximise your points — and at the same time make that traveler in your life very happy.
Featured image by Cornecoba/Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.