You might need to start wearing a mask again even if you’re vaccinated
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) is considering revising its mask guidance even for people who are vaccinated, Dr. Anthony Fauci told CNN’s “State of the Union” on Sunday, July 25.
Fauci cautioned that the country was headed in the “wrong direction” as the delta coronavirus variant spreads and vaccination rates fall.
“If you look at the inflection of the curve of new cases [among the unvaccinated] … and since we have 50% of the country [that’s] not fully vaccinated, that’s a problem,” Fauci said. Fauci said the mask guidance was “under active consideration.”
TPG reached out to the CDC and the White House but did not receive a response in time for publication.
Fauci’s warning comes amid months of conflicting and, at times, contradictory advice from U.S. health professionals. CDC director Rochelle Walensky said last week that unvaccinated people should continue to wear a mask but that the decision for fully vaccinated people to wear a mask was an “individual choice.”
The CDC earlier this summer said vaccinated individuals were “safe” from the delta variant and doubled down on its guidance that fully vaccinated Americans could go maskless. But the World Health Organization (WHO) in late June warned that even fully vaccinated individuals (those who received their final dose of the COVID-19 vaccine at least two weeks prior) should still wear a mask.
There’s also been pressure to impose a federal mask mandate. Several locations across the country have also reimposed mask requirements or recommended mask-wearing.
Los Angeles County, for example, announced in mid-July that all people — vaccinated or not — would be required to wear a mask indoors when in public. Los Angeles County, the nation’s largest by population, has recorded more than 1.2 million cases of the coronavirus and nearly 25,000 deaths, according to a Johns Hopkins University tracker. Other areas of California recommended that everyone wear masks indoors at public places but stopped short of making masks a requirement.
And across the country, New Jersey Gov. Phil Murphy warned that if more residents didn’t get vaccinated, he would bring back a mask mandate.
The news comes as the delta variant becomes the country’s most dominant strain, and vaccination rates have plateaued. The delta variant now accounts for 83% of cases in the U.S., a figure Walensky called a “dramatic” increase from the week of July 3.
Vaccination rates have also plateaued from their peak in mid-April when more than 4.6 million doses were administered on April 10. According to The New York Times, just 600,000 people were vaccinated on July 23.
Featured photo by Thomas Tolstrup/Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees