Video Footage of Terrible Luggage Handling Surfaces Again
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Another day, another video of airline employees handling luggage like they’re competing in an Olympic hammer-throwing contest. The culprit this time is Cathay Pacific, when handlers were caught red-handed in Hong Kong via passenger video shared on Facebook.
The footage, which shares a lot of similarities with a video that surfaced in September in which Swissport employees at Manchester Airport (MAN) are seen neglectfully tossing luggage, was captured by Marcela Fernanda Solis Walker post-flight from Xiamen (XMN) to Hong Kong (HKG). In the 37-second video, the airline employees can be seen tossing suitcases off the plane conveyor belt and onto the baggage cart with careless, overly forceful, one-armed swings. Not one piece of luggage lands softly.
After going viral (with about five million views), the video caused quite a stir. Commenters were outraged by the treatment of the luggage, calling the behavior “shocking,” “wrong” and making some sincere calls to action.
The South China Morning Post reached out to Walker for comment, who said, “I don’t have any intention to make any trouble to the workers. I only wanted other people to be aware of the situation.”
The Post was able to identify the employees-under-fire as a part of Hong Kong Airport Services, which is wholly owned by Cathay. As of now, it’s unknown what exactly happened to the HKAS workers. However, a spokesperson for the company said that it’s “aware of the viral video and had taken the matter up with the supplier involved.” Not the most specific response when compared to other incidents of employees mishandling baggage, but an apology to customers was also issued by HKAS. So, there’s that.
Featured image by Marcela Fernanda Solis Walker
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.