Plane Slides off Taxiway Into Snowbank at Fort Wayne International Airport
An aircraft operating a regional flight out of Indiana’s Fort Wayne International Airport (FWA) slid on ice while taxiing for takeoff and came to a stop in a snow bank Tuesday night.
Passengers on SkyWest flight 3526, which was operating as Delta Connection to Atlanta, had to deplane the Bombardier CRJ-200ER and were transferred to the terminal. There were reportedly no injuries after the incident.
In an email to TPG, a spokesperson for SkyWest said the plane “encountered ice on slow taxi for departure and came to a stop in a snow bank on the taxiway. Passengers deplaned through the main cabin door and were safely transported to the terminal via bus. The flight later continued to Atlanta on a different aircraft.”
Officials at the Fort Wayne Airport told USA Today that rain had diluted the chemical used for de-icing the runway.
Airports across the Midwest have been grappling with harsh winter weather conditions throughout January. On Tuesday night and into Wednesday morning, Detroit Metropolitan Airport (DTW) was shut down for about 14 hours due to winter weather and a similar issue of rain diluting the runway de-icing chemicals, causing slippery conditions. Omaha’s Eppley Airfield (OMA) was closed last week after a Southwest flight slid off the runway as winter storm Harper slammed into the region.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter here: https://thepointsguy.com/mailing-list//
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees