Video: Watch as Plane Makes Completely Autonomous Landing
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Modern aircraft are some of the most automated machines in the world. Pilots rarely hand-fly commercial aircraft and rely on the flight management system (FMS) to deal with things like navigation in conjunction with onboard Autopilot systems.
When it’s time to put the wheels back on the ground, other ground-based systems help pilots find the runway and put the plane down safely. Instrument Landing System, or ILS, is used to guide commercial aircraft to the start of the runway. While most pilots will use the ILS to verify their alignment and glide slope with the runway, only in rare situations will the landing itself be completely automated using the ILS.
However, a German team has developed a new system that doesn’t rely on any ground-based help in order to land the plane, according to TechCrunch. The new system uses a set of cameras mounted in the nose of the plane to identify the runway, mimicking what pilots do with their eyes — although the system has a bit of an upgrade over human eyes as its cameras have infrared capabilities allowing for use of the system even in poor visibility conditions.
The system, which is called C2Land, uses a combination of cameras and visual computer processors to locate the runway and then put the aircraft down on the centerline. The system was installed on a Diamond DA42 for testing. You can see in the video below the pilot on board is just along for the ride.
While the system is a very long way from being installed on your next commercial flight, it does give a glimpse at what we might see installed on commercial airliners in the future.
For the latest travel news, deals and points and miles tips please subscribe to The Points Guy daily email newsletter.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees