Report: Helicopter Pilots Voiced Safety Concerns Before Fatal Crash in NYC
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Four weeks after a deadly helicopter crash in NYC that’s led to a Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) ban of doors-off helicopter flights, shocking details have emerged from internal company emails about the safety of these flights.
According to a detailed NYTimes report, helicopter pilots repeatedly expressed concerns about the safety of harnesses used by passengers in these doors-off FlyNYON flights. However, executives at the company dismissed concerns about the very harnesses that would end up trapping the passengers in their seats.
In one particularly ominous email, FlyNYON CEO Patrick Day is quoted as saying, “Let me be clear, this isn’t a safety issue with the harnesses.”
Details shared in the report show that — despite FlyNYON claiming to have a “proprietary 8 Point Safety Harness System (SHS)” — the harnesses were actually just off-the-shelf construction harnesses available at Home Depot for $52.
In the safety video shown before the flight, passengers are instructed on how to use the provided hook-shaped blades to cut the tethers and free themselves in case of an emergency. In the video, the blade is able to easily cut through the tether. However, the tethers in the video weren’t the same as the ones installed on the helicopter. Internal testing of the cutters showed that it was “extremely difficult to sever the tether using the cutter.”
In response to the pilots’ demands, FlyNYON had started to install new “blue harnesses” in some helicopters. Where the yellow harnesses were standard construction harnesses, the blue harnesses were approved by the FAA for some flights — although not specifically for open-door helicopter flights.
Instagram video posted by the passengers before the flight showed that the harnesses in the accident aircraft were the older construction harnesses.
The pilots who’d raised internal concerns about the safety of these harnesses are “seeking whistle-blower protections in order to speak out.” The pilots are afraid of being blackballed in the industry for speaking truthfully to the FAA and NSTB.
Indeed, FlyNYON’s CEO is already going after these pilots in response to the NYTimes’ request for comment, saying that the pilots “should have ceased operations and addressed the issue with Liberty management” if they had safety concerns.
Featured image by Boston Globe / Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees