Listen to Pilots Describe a UFO Sighting Mid-Air in New Mexico
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
It’s a bird. It’s a plane. It’s a…UFO?
Audio obtained from the Albuquerque Center Air Traffic Control Communications recorded on February 24, 2018, appears to show not one, but two pilots spotting an unidentified flying object directly over their two aircraft. The recording is unedited and comes from the FAA.
The incident, which took place around 3:30pm between the Sonoran Desert National Monument in Southern Arizona and the New Mexico border, reveals the audio between the pilots and air traffic controllers discussing what the pilots saw during their commercial flights.
“I don’t know what it was,” the pilot of a Learjet said to air traffic control. “It wasn’t an airplane, but it was, the path was going in the opposite direction.” Air Traffic Control responded by asking an American Airlines pilot who was nearby to keep an eye out for anything around his airspace. The pilot replied, mockingly, “If anything passes over us?”
Within minutes of that conversation, the AA pilot returned to say, “Something just passed over us, like a, don’t know what it was, but it was at least two, three thousand feet above us…Yeah, it passed right over the top of us.”
Control then asked if the object could have been a Google weather ballon, and the pilot replied, “Doubtful.” Someone else can be heard saying, “UFO,” over the other pilot.
In a statement to KOB 4, a news station in Albuquerque, the FAA essentially said it is unable to identify the objects: “We don’t have any comment beyond what you hear. Other than the brief conversation between two aircraft, the controller was unable to verify that any other aircraft was in the area,” the statement read. “We have a close working relationship with a number of other agencies and safely handle military aircraft and civilian aircraft of all types in that area every day, including high-altitude weather balloons.”
This is not the first case of pilots, commercial or military, who report sightings of unidentified flying objects while in the air.
The Washington Post reported that in 2004, two US Navy F-18 had documented encounters with unidentified aircraft. The Department of Defense released the videos in December 2017. The Post reached out to a Pentagon spokesman, but the Pentagon did not respond. In December, however, the military confirmed the existence of a program to investigate UFOs and said it had stopped funding the research in 2012.
According to experts, the videos from 2004 provides evidence of aircraft far superior to any within the United States or its allies — the reported altitude would put the UFO well above the range of consumer drones, according to The Washington Post.
As for the most recent ‘UFO’ spotting, The Huffington Post noted that the pilots who were near the New Mexico/Arizona border were just 100 miles from Luke Air Force Base, so the pilots might have seen new aircraft being tested. Huff Post also noted that the sightings were only 500 miles west of Roswell, New Mexico, the location of the famed “UFO Crash” of 1947.
H/T: The War Zone
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees