Pilot Found With Loaded Gun in Carry-On at Florida Airport
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
An arrest report from the Lee County Port Authority in Lee County, Florida, shows that a Sun Country Airlines pilot was found with a loaded firearm at Southwest Florida International Airport (RSW), the main airport serving Fort Meyers, Naples, and Punta Gorda.
The incident occurred Friday night when Brian Andrew Machtemes was making his way through a security checkpoint. A TSA officer discovered the loaded firearm in Machtemes’ bag at which point the 54-year-old pilot was arrested.
Brian Andrew Machtemes, a resident of Minnesota, home to Sun Country Airlines’ headquarters, stated that he did indeed pack his own bag. The firearm recovered was a KEL-TEC .380 pistol loaded with six rounds.
While it isn’t illegal for commercial pilots to bring a firearm aboard an aircraft, they must be part of the Federal Flight Deck Officers (FFDO) in order to transport weapons in their carry-ons. The FFDO, created in the wake of the September 11th terrorist attacks, allows qualified active duty pilots to travel with a firearm in a locked and secure transporting unit. Machtemes does not appear to be certified for the FFDO program.
USA Today also reported that though Machtemes was registered to carry a gun in the state of Minnesota, that license was not valid in the state of Florida. Additionally, passengers (meaning not pilots) are required to remove ammo from firearms and place them in their checked bags in a special carrying case. Machtemes was not arriving at the airport for work but rather was traveling as a passenger.
Sun Country Airlines confirmed to USA Today that Machtemes is a pilot for the airline. He is currently in custody with bail set at $5,000.
H/T: USA Today
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees