This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
A pilot for Chinese airline Donghai was recently suspended for six months and fined $1,750 for letting his wife enter the cockpit of the plane he was flying not once –but twice.
Mr. Chen, the pilot for the Shenzhen-based airline, was flying from Nantong, Jiangsu province, to Lanzhou, Gansu, with a stop in Zhengzhou, Henan, and then from Lanzhou to Beijing on July 28 when the incident happened. According to the South China Morning Post, the airline “did not say at what stage the woman was in the cockpit or how long she had spent there.”
Chen’s wife was ticketed for the Nantong –> Zhengzhou leg of the flight, but not the trip onto Lanzhou or the flight to Beijing. In addition to being suspended and fined, Chen was also ordered to repay the cost of the skipped airfare.
According to a statement read in court, Chen “violated operating procedures and air safety regulations,” and “abused his rights as a pilot, overlooked the rules and the bottom line, and acted against the advice of others.” The pilot’s “qualifications as a flying instructor with the company” have also been revoked.
Chen’s co-pilots were also suspended for 15 days and fined 6,000 yuan, as well as a flight safety officer who is facing a 500 yuan fine. The airline says it will work to “improve safety measures to prevent a similar incident from happening in the future.”
With some great bonus categories, the American Express Gold Card has a lot going for it. The card offers 4x points at US restaurants, at US supermarkets (up to $25,000; then 1x), and 3x points on flights booked directly with airlines or through amextravel.com. It is currently offering a welcome bonus of 35,000 bonus points after you spend $2,000 in the first three months.
- Earn 35,000 Membership Rewards® Points after you spend $2,000 on eligible purchases with your new Card within the first 3 months.
- Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. restaurants. Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. supermarkets (on up to $25,000 per year in purchases, then 1X).
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or on amextravel.com.
- Earn up to $10 in statement credits monthly when you pay with The Gold Card at Grubhub, Seamless, The Cheesecake Factory, Shake Shack, and Ruth's Chris Steak House. This is an annual savings of up to $120. Enrollment required.
- $100 Airline Fee Credit: up to $100 in statement credits per calendar year for incidental fees at one selected qualifying airline.
- Choose to carry a balance with interest on eligible charges of $100 or more.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- Annual Fee is $250.
- Terms apply.
- See Rates & Fees