Pickup Truck Strikes Southwest Airlines Plane at BWI
A Southwest Airlines aircraft was involved in a collision with an airport pickup truck at Baltimore-Washington International Airport (BWI) on Monday morning.
Southwest Flight 6263 had just landed at BWI from Fort Lauderdale (FLL) at about 12:06am Monday, according to flight-tracking site FlightAware. The Boeing 737-800 (registration N8655D) had taxied to and was pulling into its gate at approximately 12:36am when it was struck by the truck.
Passengers on board the aircraft took to social media with images and complaints about the subsequent delays caused by the collision.
According to Southwest, there were no injuries as a result of the collision.
Southwest issued the following statement regarding the incident: “Southwest Flight 6263 with scheduled service from Ft. Lauderdale to Baltimore was pulling into the gate at Baltimore Washington International Airport (BWI) when a ground vehicle came into contact with the aircraft. There are no reported injuries of the 172 passengers.”
At this point, it’s unclear what, if any, damage was caused to the aircraft. Southwest told TPG that the aircraft is currently out of service.
As of 3:54am Monday, BWI said that it was operating under normal conditions with no delays reported.
N8655D, the aircraft involved in the collision, is fairly young — about 3.4 years. According to PlaneSpotters.net, the aircraft was delivered to Southwest in December 2014. The aircraft is equipped with two CFM56-7B engines, which are the same type involved in the fatal Southwest crash in April, and have since been the focus of FAA-mandated inspections.
Featured image by Robert Alexander / Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees