Pickup Truck Strikes Southwest Airlines Plane at BWI
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
A Southwest Airlines aircraft was involved in a collision with an airport pickup truck at Baltimore-Washington International Airport (BWI) on Monday morning.
Southwest Flight 6263 had just landed at BWI from Fort Lauderdale (FLL) at about 12:06am Monday, according to flight-tracking site FlightAware. The Boeing 737-800 (registration N8655D) had taxied to and was pulling into its gate at approximately 12:36am when it was struck by the truck.
Passengers on board the aircraft took to social media with images and complaints about the subsequent delays caused by the collision.
According to Southwest, there were no injuries as a result of the collision.
Southwest issued the following statement regarding the incident: “Southwest Flight 6263 with scheduled service from Ft. Lauderdale to Baltimore was pulling into the gate at Baltimore Washington International Airport (BWI) when a ground vehicle came into contact with the aircraft. There are no reported injuries of the 172 passengers.”
At this point, it’s unclear what, if any, damage was caused to the aircraft. Southwest told TPG that the aircraft is currently out of service.
As of 3:54am Monday, BWI said that it was operating under normal conditions with no delays reported.
N8655D, the aircraft involved in the collision, is fairly young — about 3.4 years. According to PlaneSpotters.net, the aircraft was delivered to Southwest in December 2014. The aircraft is equipped with two CFM56-7B engines, which are the same type involved in the fatal Southwest crash in April, and have since been the focus of FAA-mandated inspections.
Featured image by Robert Alexander / Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.