This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
A Southwest Airlines aircraft was involved in a collision with an airport pickup truck at Baltimore-Washington International Airport (BWI) on Monday morning.
Southwest Flight 6263 had just landed at BWI from Fort Lauderdale (FLL) at about 12:06am Monday, according to flight-tracking site FlightAware. The Boeing 737-800 (registration N8655D) had taxied to and was pulling into its gate at approximately 12:36am when it was struck by the truck.
Passengers on board the aircraft took to social media with images and complaints about the subsequent delays caused by the collision.
According to Southwest, there were no injuries as a result of the collision.
Southwest issued the following statement regarding the incident: “Southwest Flight 6263 with scheduled service from Ft. Lauderdale to Baltimore was pulling into the gate at Baltimore Washington International Airport (BWI) when a ground vehicle came into contact with the aircraft. There are no reported injuries of the 172 passengers.”
At this point, it’s unclear what, if any, damage was caused to the aircraft. Southwest told TPG that the aircraft is currently out of service.
As of 3:54am Monday, BWI said that it was operating under normal conditions with no delays reported.
N8655D, the aircraft involved in the collision, is fairly young — about 3.4 years. According to PlaneSpotters.net, the aircraft was delivered to Southwest in December 2014. The aircraft is equipped with two CFM56-7B engines, which are the same type involved in the fatal Southwest crash in April, and have since been the focus of FAA-mandated inspections.
Featured image by Robert Alexander / Getty Images.
With some great bonus categories, the American Express Gold Card has a lot going for it. The card offers 4x points at US restaurants, at US supermarkets (up to $25,000; then 1x), and 3x points on flights booked directly with airlines or through amextravel.com. It is currently offering a welcome bonus of 35,000 bonus points after you spend $2,000 in the first three months.
- Earn 35,000 Membership Rewards® Points after you spend $2,000 on eligible purchases with your new Card within the first 3 months.
- Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. restaurants. Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. supermarkets (on up to $25,000 per year in purchases, then 1X).
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or on amextravel.com.
- Earn up to $10 in statement credits monthly when you pay with The Gold Card at Grubhub, Seamless, The Cheesecake Factory, Shake Shack, and Ruth's Chris Steak House. This is an annual savings of up to $120. Enrollment required.
- $100 Airline Fee Credit: up to $100 in statement credits per calendar year for incidental fees at one selected qualifying airline.
- Choose to carry a balance with interest on eligible charges of $100 or more.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- Annual Fee is $250.
- Terms apply.
- See Rates & Fees