Crushed Phone Catches Fire Under Qantas A380 Business-Class Seat
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Here’s a reminder to always listen to the safety briefing before your flight takes off. On Wednesday morning, Qantas Flight 94 took off from Los Angeles (LAX), bound for Melbourne (MEL) on board an A380. During the flight, a passenger seated in the business-class cabin dropped their phone underneath their seat and reclined the seat in order to retrieve it, resulting in a crushed phone — and fire.
Passengers on the flight reportedly told the Herald Sun that before the incident was tended to, a burned rubber scent could be smelled throughout the business-class cabin. After becoming aware of the incident, crew reportedly ran through the cabin with fire extinguishers.
“Nobody knew what was going on,” the passenger said. “The [flight attendant] was on the internal phone when two male hostesses grabbed fire extinguishers and ran up the stairs to business.”
The incident serves as a good reminder to not only pay attention to the safety briefings but to also be able to put that information into action, if needed. If you’re sitting in a business-class seat and your device falls under the seat, don’t recline — if it’s crushed, there’s the potential of fire.
“Our crew are trained to handle these situations and the crew on board followed all the correct procedures,” Qantas said to The Sun. “This incident shows why we ask passengers to seek help from our cabin crew in retrieving their mobile phones.”
Qantas’ business-class seats on its A380 are confined to the forward of the upper deck. The 64 seats, which are arranged in a 2-2-2 configuration are lie-flat.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees