Crushed Phone Catches Fire Under Qantas A380 Business-Class Seat
Here’s a reminder to always listen to the safety briefing before your flight takes off. On Wednesday morning, Qantas Flight 94 took off from Los Angeles (LAX), bound for Melbourne (MEL) on board an A380. During the flight, a passenger seated in the business-class cabin dropped their phone underneath their seat and reclined the seat in order to retrieve it, resulting in a crushed phone — and fire.
Passengers on the flight reportedly told the Herald Sun that before the incident was tended to, a burned rubber scent could be smelled throughout the business-class cabin. After becoming aware of the incident, crew reportedly ran through the cabin with fire extinguishers.
“Nobody knew what was going on,” the passenger said. “The [flight attendant] was on the internal phone when two male hostesses grabbed fire extinguishers and ran up the stairs to business.”
The incident serves as a good reminder to not only pay attention to the safety briefings but to also be able to put that information into action, if needed. If you’re sitting in a business-class seat and your device falls under the seat, don’t recline — if it’s crushed, there’s the potential of fire.
“Our crew are trained to handle these situations and the crew on board followed all the correct procedures,” Qantas said to The Sun. “This incident shows why we ask passengers to seek help from our cabin crew in retrieving their mobile phones.”
Qantas’ business-class seats on its A380 are confined to the forward of the upper deck. The 64 seats, which are arranged in a 2-2-2 configuration are lie-flat.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.