Study Finds That 1 in 50 People Fall in Love on Airplanes
If you’ve ever dreamed of falling in love with your seat-mate on an airplane, we’ve got good news: A study conducted by HSBC (this isn’t NASA so, you know, take this with a grain of salt) found that one in 50 people said they met their soulmate while flying the friendly skies. Considering an Airbus A380 can hold up to 800 passengers, that’s a lot of love connections.
HSBC interviewed more than 2,000 people from around the world to gather its data, which also revealed that half of the passengers interviewed admitted to at least engaging in conversation with those seated next to them — even strangers. If everlasting love wasn’t on the in-flight menu, one in seven passengers said they made “lasting friendships,” and another 16% say they’ve at least added someone to their business network.
Speaking of which: While we are all for finding love in a hopeless place (airplane bathrooms excluded, thank you very much), please keep in mind that love is a two-way aisle. If your seat-mate is not feeling those same high-altitude vibes, back off — especially if you’ve killed a few hours at the airport bar before takeoff. Also, as much as it may seem like a good idea to profess your love to the flight crew tirelessly working to meet the needs of an entire plane’s worth of travelers, it’s a good idea to wait until you’ve safely reached your gate to make the first move on an employee.
And if you are hoping to land the window seat soulmate to your aisle, may we suggest leaving your shoes on during the flight?
Featured image by izusek/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees