Study Finds That 1 in 50 People Fall in Love on Airplanes
If you’ve ever dreamed of falling in love with your seat-mate on an airplane, we’ve got good news: A study conducted by HSBC (this isn’t NASA so, you know, take this with a grain of salt) found that one in 50 people said they met their soulmate while flying the friendly skies. Considering an Airbus A380 can hold up to 800 passengers, that’s a lot of love connections.
HSBC interviewed more than 2,000 people from around the world to gather its data, which also revealed that half of the passengers interviewed admitted to at least engaging in conversation with those seated next to them — even strangers. If everlasting love wasn’t on the in-flight menu, one in seven passengers said they made “lasting friendships,” and another 16% say they’ve at least added someone to their business network.
Speaking of which: While we are all for finding love in a hopeless place (airplane bathrooms excluded, thank you very much), please keep in mind that love is a two-way aisle. If your seat-mate is not feeling those same high-altitude vibes, back off — especially if you’ve killed a few hours at the airport bar before takeoff. Also, as much as it may seem like a good idea to profess your love to the flight crew tirelessly working to meet the needs of an entire plane’s worth of travelers, it’s a good idea to wait until you’ve safely reached your gate to make the first move on an employee.
And if you are hoping to land the window seat soulmate to your aisle, may we suggest leaving your shoes on during the flight?
Featured image by izusek/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.