This Contest Is Giving People the Chance to ‘Pay What You Can’ for a Luxury Glamping Experience
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
According to a study by Bankrate, 39 million Americans won’t go on a summer vacation this year because they can’t afford it (although by now you should be armed with plenty of ways to make your dollar go further with the help of points and miles). However, there’s one travel company out there that wants to take you on one of the most luxurious journeys without breaking the bank. All they’re asking is for you to pay what you can.
Related: The 7 Best Starter Credit Cards
Travel + Leisure is reporting that glamping (glamour camping) company Under Canvas is running a ‘Pay What You Can’ campaign, giving out discounted glamping trips to selected applicants in hopes of providing a lavish experience to those who otherwise couldn’t afford it. Under Canvas CEO Sarah Dusek said the ideas was to find a way to make quality outdoor travel more economically accessible.
Under Canvas hosts glamping excursions in eight renowned locations, including the Great Smoky Mountains, Mount Rushmore, the Grand Canyon, Zion, Moab, Yellowstone, Glacier and Tucson. The glamping sites are equipped with a most-glamorous plush bed, and some even have wood decks, flushing toilets and hot showers. Essentially, it keeps all of the amazing immersive components of camping and gets rid of all the creepy-crawly stuff.
To apply, interested parties can fill out this Google Form and answer questions regarding household income, location preferences and availability, as well as how much they are able to pay for lodging and why they’d like to be considered. The application is open through June 4. Decisions will be announced on June 7.
Glamping has recently become a widely popular phenomenon. TPG’s Zach Griff just recently toured a most unusual glamping site that has amazing views — of Manhattan. While it’s not the most predictable place to set up camp, it provides a neat way to experience the beautiful sights of New York City without being fully engrossed in the extreme hustle-and-bustle.
For the latest travel news, deals and points and miles tips please subscribe to The Points Guy daily email newsletter.
Featured image by Under Canvas.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees