This Contest Is Giving People the Chance to ‘Pay What You Can’ for a Luxury Glamping Experience
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
According to a study by Bankrate, 39 million Americans won’t go on a summer vacation this year because they can’t afford it (although by now you should be armed with plenty of ways to make your dollar go further with the help of points and miles). However, there’s one travel company out there that wants to take you on one of the most luxurious journeys without breaking the bank. All they’re asking is for you to pay what you can.
Related: The 7 Best Starter Credit Cards
Travel + Leisure is reporting that glamping (glamour camping) company Under Canvas is running a ‘Pay What You Can’ campaign, giving out discounted glamping trips to selected applicants in hopes of providing a lavish experience to those who otherwise couldn’t afford it. Under Canvas CEO Sarah Dusek said the ideas was to find a way to make quality outdoor travel more economically accessible.
Under Canvas hosts glamping excursions in eight renowned locations, including the Great Smoky Mountains, Mount Rushmore, the Grand Canyon, Zion, Moab, Yellowstone, Glacier and Tucson. The glamping sites are equipped with a most-glamorous plush bed, and some even have wood decks, flushing toilets and hot showers. Essentially, it keeps all of the amazing immersive components of camping and gets rid of all the creepy-crawly stuff.
To apply, interested parties can fill out this Google Form and answer questions regarding household income, location preferences and availability, as well as how much they are able to pay for lodging and why they’d like to be considered. The application is open through June 4. Decisions will be announced on June 7.
Glamping has recently become a widely popular phenomenon. TPG’s Zach Griff just recently toured a most unusual glamping site that has amazing views — of Manhattan. While it’s not the most predictable place to set up camp, it provides a neat way to experience the beautiful sights of New York City without being fully engrossed in the extreme hustle-and-bustle.
For the latest travel news, deals and points and miles tips please subscribe to The Points Guy daily email newsletter.
Featured image by Under Canvas.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.