This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
If you’re looking for a new laptop, there are plenty of ways to avoid paying full price. And almost none of them involve camping outside of a store for Black Friday.
To illustrate some of the ways you can save, let’s show you how to get the $900 list price Dell Inspiron 7580 15.6″ Laptop i5-8265U for just $440 after coupons, cash-back offers and the $100 Dell credit available on the Business Platinum® Card from American Express. Plus, you can get 2x Membership Rewards on the purchase. But you’ll need to act quickly before the coupon is pulled.
The laptop makes a solid case as a travel laptop, starting at just 4.12 lbs and just 0.74″ thick. The processor is an Intel Core i5-8265U Processor with 6MB Cache and up to 3.9 GHz. The hard drive is a fast-booting 256GB Solid State Drive, and there’s 8GB of working memory. While it doesn’t rotate all the way into “tablet mode,” the hinge allows 180-degree rotation.
You can start shopping for the laptop through this link. Dan’s Deals — a great source for deals on all sorts of items — shared a $299 off coupon code that works on this laptop: DBLTKYLAFF1. That drops the price to $599.99 before taxes:
10% Cash Back Through Amex Offers
There’s currently an Amex Offer for 10% cash back on Dell purchases, up to a whopping $1,500 in total statement credits. The catch is that you’ll need to be targeted for this offer to enroll. If you have the Business Platinum Card, you’ll want to enroll using that card. Remember, Amex only allows one Amex Offer per person. So, you’ll want to choose wisely which card you enroll.
Through this offer, you’ll get at least $60 cashback. That drops the net price — before factoring in taxes — to $540.
2x (or More) Points Through Amex Offers
There’s another Amex Offer that you can use to get 2x Membership Rewards points on the purchase. The offer is available through Dec. 31, 2019 and adds “one additional Membership Rewards point for each dollar you spend” for purchases through Dell. For almost all cards, that will mean 2x Membership Rewards points on the purchase.
If you have the Business Platinum Card, you’ll want to enroll using that card. If not, you can get 3x Membership Rewards points on the purchase if you have the Blue Business℠ Plus Credit Card from American Express — as this card earns 2x Membership Rewards points on all purchases up to $50,000 annually; then 1x.
$100 Credit on Amex Business Platinum
The last bit of savings is only available to card holders of the Business Platinum Card from American Express. Starting February 1, card holders get two semi-annual credits of $100 each for purchases at Dell. That’s up to $200 of savings per year on Dell purchases just for being a card holder. But remember to register for the credit before making a purchase.
In order for the purchase to qualify, it must be made “directly with Dell or at dell.com in the US and US Territories” and shipped to the US. After the primary card holder registers for the credit, either the primary or authorized users can make an eligible purchase. However, the credit terms and conditions note that the statement credit can take 2-4 weeks to post.
Putting it all together, here’s how the deal calculates out. Those living in no state sales tax states (Alaska, Delaware, Montana, New Hampshire, Oregon) will be able to pay a net of just $440. After New York sales tax, NY residents will pay just under $488 all-in.
|No sales tax||With NY tax||Available to|
|10% cashback||($60)||($65.33)||targeted Amex card holders|
|$100 credit||($100)||($100)||Amex Biz Plat card holders|
Featured image by Hero Images via Getty Images
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
Aside from the 75,000 points welcome bonus, Amex recently made huge improvements to the Business Platinum Card, including the fact that you will now earn 50% more points on purchases of $5,000 or more, earn 5x on flights and eligible hotels at Amextravel.com and cardholders will receive a $200 airline fee credit each year.
- Welcome Offer: Earn up to 75,000 Membership Rewards® points.
- Earn 50,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $10,000 and an extra 25,000 points after you spend an additional $10,000 all on qualifying purchases within your first 3 months of Card Membership.
- Get 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights and prepaid hotels on amextravel.com.
- Get 50% more Membership Rewards® points. That's 1.5 points per dollar, on each eligible purchase of $5,000 or more. You can get up to 1 million additional points per year.
- 35% Airline Bonus: Use Membership Rewards® Pay with Points for all or part of a flight with your selected qualifying airline, and you can get 35% of the points back, up to 500,000 bonus points per calendar year.
- Enroll to get up to $200 in statement credits annually by getting up to $100 semi-annually for U.S. purchases with Dell. Terms apply.
- Get one year of Platinum Global Access from WeWork. With this membership, you can access 300+ premium, inspiring workspaces in 75+ cities. To get this exclusive offer, enroll between 2/15/2019 and 12/31/2019.
- Terms Apply
- See Rates & Fees