Passenger’s Strange Behavior Causes Delta Flight to Divert to Maine
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Things got weird on a Delta flight on Sunday when a woman aboard flight DL116 from Georgia to Stuttgart, Germany, sat down in the aisle of the plane and refused to get up.
A fellow passenger shot a video of the woman, Judith Rodriguez, 44, seated on the floor of the dark plane in some sort of altercation with the flight crew.
In the “little disorderly” situation, crew members attempt to remove Rodriguez from the aisle to no avail. “You’re going to be removed,” a man warns over the commotion. The video, while mostly dark, shows a group of crew members surrounding the Rodriguez on the floor while one of the crew members holds on to her outstretched arms. “Let’s go to your seat, dammit,” the same man eventually says.
Eventually, the cockpit was notified, and the plane was diverted to Bangor, Maine, for an emergency landing. Rodriguez was then removed from the plane and taken into custody, she has since been charged with assault. As of now, there is no known cause for Rodriguez’s strange behavior.
“The aircraft was met by local authorities, and the passenger deplaned the aircraft and was taken into custody. The aircraft resumed its flight to Stuttgart and arrived approximately two hours behind schedule,” Delta told Fox News. “Delta applauds the professionalism of our flight crew in managing the situation, and apologizes for any inconvenience to customers aboard Flight 116.”
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees