Passengers Stranded for Nearly 30 Hours Due to Technical Issue With Scoot Plane
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
A number of budget travelers were stranded in Tokyo and Bangkok for nearly 30 hours on Monday after a Scoot plane was grounded due to technical issues.
Passengers bound for Singapore on Scoot Flight TR869 were supposed to leave Tokyo Narita International Airport (NRT) at 9:35am local time, stopping in Bangkok to pick up additional passengers before completing the route in Singapore. However, an issue with the aircraft’s nose gear door was discovered before the plane departed, so the aircraft returned to the gate. “Engineers immediately began rectification works, but in view of the expected time required, a decision was made to ground the aircraft instead,” a Scoot spokesman said.
Tokyo passengers were told that their flight would depart at 3:50pm local time Tuesday instead, while Bangkok travelers were rescheduled to depart at 10:10 local time Tuesday. According to a Scoot spokesperson, the airline also tried to transfer some affected passengers to another flight, TR899, which was departing Tokyo to Singapore with a stopover in Taipei.
Travelers who could not get onto flights departing Tokyo and Bangkok were given food and accommodations where necessary, according to the low-cost carrier.
“Safety is our top priority, and we sincerely apologize for the disruption caused to our customers’ travel plans,” the Scoot spokesperson stated.
Featured photo courtesy of Scoot.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees