Passengers Restrain Man Who Threatened to ‘Take Down’ Delta Aircraft
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
A man aboard a Delta flight who threatened to “take the plane down” was restrained by fellow passengers until the plane landed.
Delta flight 1249 took off from Portland, Maine (PWM) headed for its Atlanta (ATL) hub Thursday at 6:25am. Soon after take off James Tunnell, a former corrections officer, and his travel companion Ashley Decker heard a commotion at the rear of the cabin.
“I could hear a lot of screaming in the back. One of the passengers was punching the [overhead seat] lights,” Tunnell told Fox 5. “Passengers were telling me he was wanting to take the plane down.”
The man in the back was making threats and throwing punches at passengers and the aircraft window.
Tunnell ran toward the action after the belligerent man locked himself in the bathroom. Another man, who claimed to be a member of the Coast Guard, came to Tunnell’s aid. Together the two put the man in handcuffs, provided by the flight attendant, and put him back in his seat — but only after the man attempted to bite Tunnell multiple times. Tunnell even had to tie the handcuffs to the seatbelt to completely restrain the man.
“It was kind of scary. 9/11 immediately went into my head,” Decker told Fox 5.
Tunnell and the Coast Guard member stood guard next to the man’s seat until the aircraft landed. Once the plane touched down on the runway, the entire plane erupted in applause Tennell said.
“There was a lot of lives at stake, where people could have been potentially hurt,” said Tunnell.
Flight Aware tracking shows the MD-90 stayed on a flight path consistent with normal operations and didn’t divert for an emergency landing.
Delta provided this statement to TPG regarding the incident:
Delta flight 1249 from Portland, Maine to Atlanta was met by law enforcement in Atlanta due to a customer disturbance on board. Delta appreciates the assistance from those customers who aided the crew and applauds the professionalism of our flight attendants for their efforts in deescalating the situation. The safety and security of our customers and crew are always Delta’s top priority.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees