Engine Fire: Passengers Capture Startling Video on Russian Aircraft
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
A passenger on board a flight with Russian carrier Red Wings captured a startling video of the aircraft engine suddenly catching fire during takeoff.
Red Wings flight 808 took off from Ufa International Airport (UFA) at 5:06am heading for Sochi (AER). Minutes after it began its ascent, the Tu-204 jet’s left engine suddenly ignited in a shower of flames. The pilot immediately requested an emergency landing, and the plane made a quick U-turn to land safely back at UFA 16 minutes after takeoff.
The plane was carrying 202 passengers, who RT reports are receiving “help from psychologists.” The airport says no one was injured during the incident.
A similar situation happened in Russia earlier this summer when the Saudi World Cup soccer team was flying to the tournament. The team was en route to its second game in Rostov-on-Don, Russia, when flames began shooting out of the right engine of the aircraft, which reportedly was a Rossiya Airbus A319 registered VP-BNB.
Luckily, there were no injuries in that situation either, and the plane landed safely at the Rostov-on-Don Airport (ROV). The Saudi Arabian Football Federation said the fire was due to a mechanical fault with the aircraft, assigned to the team by the International Air Transport Association (IATA), the World Cup’s travel organizer.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees