Passenger Tries to Bring a WWII Shell Through Vienna Airport
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
A 24-year-old American tourist found an unexploded World World II artillery shell during her vacation in Austria, and then tried to bring it on her flight at Vienna International Airport (VIE) on Monday.
The tourist reportedly found the shell while hiking, washed it off in her hotel room and asked Austrian customs officials if she could take the artifact home as a souvenir, according to DW News, a news site in Berlin.
The officials called a bomb disposal unit and shut down the arrivals gates and baggage claim for 15 minutes. Police and a bomb disposal team took the shell and brought it out of the building to a safe area away from the terminal. The situation caused no harm and did not impact any flight schedules or airport operations. The passenger reportedly was charged with negligent endangerment and fined nearly $4,700, DW news reported.
This isn’t the first time WWII artifacts have affected air travel. Earlier this year, both London City Airport (LCY) and Berlin Airport (TXL) were closed because of unexploded WWII bombs that were found in the vicinity of the airport.
Featured image of Vienna Airport courtesy of Wikimedia Commons.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees