This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
A 24-year-old American tourist found an unexploded World World II artillery shell during her vacation in Austria, and then tried to bring it on her flight at Vienna International Airport (VIE) on Monday.
The tourist reportedly found the shell while hiking, washed it off in her hotel room and asked Austrian customs officials if she could take the artifact home as a souvenir, according to DW News, a news site in Berlin.
The officials called a bomb disposal unit and shut down the arrivals gates and baggage claim for 15 minutes. Police and a bomb disposal team took the shell and brought it out of the building to a safe area away from the terminal. The situation caused no harm and did not impact any flight schedules or airport operations. The passenger reportedly was charged with negligent endangerment and fined nearly $4,700, DW news reported.
This isn’t the first time WWII artifacts have affected air travel. Earlier this year, both London City Airport (LCY) and Berlin Airport (TXL) were closed because of unexploded WWII bombs that were found in the vicinity of the airport.
Featured image of Vienna Airport courtesy of Wikimedia Commons.
The American Express Platinum card has some of the best perks out there: cardholders enjoy the best domestic lounge access (Delta SkyClubs, Centurion Lounges, and Priority Pass), a $200 annual airline fee credit as well as up to $200 in Uber credits, and mid-tier elite status at SPG, Marriott, and Hilton. Combined with the 60,000 point welcome offer -- worth $1,140 based on TPG's valuations -- this card is a no-brainer for frequent travelers. Here are 5 reasons you should consider this card, as well as how you can figure out if the $550 annual fee makes sense for you.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees