This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
A 24-year-old American tourist found an unexploded World World II artillery shell during her vacation in Austria, and then tried to bring it on her flight at Vienna International Airport (VIE) on Monday.
The tourist reportedly found the shell while hiking, washed it off in her hotel room and asked Austrian customs officials if she could take the artifact home as a souvenir, according to DW News, a news site in Berlin.
The officials called a bomb disposal unit and shut down the arrivals gates and baggage claim for 15 minutes. Police and a bomb disposal team took the shell and brought it out of the building to a safe area away from the terminal. The situation caused no harm and did not impact any flight schedules or airport operations. The passenger reportedly was charged with negligent endangerment and fined nearly $4,700, DW news reported.
This isn’t the first time WWII artifacts have affected air travel. Earlier this year, both London City Airport (LCY) and Berlin Airport (TXL) were closed because of unexploded WWII bombs that were found in the vicinity of the airport.
Featured image of Vienna Airport courtesy of Wikimedia Commons.
With great travel benefits, 2x points on travel & dining and a 50,000 point sign up bonus, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great card for those looking to get into the points and miles game. Here are the top 5 reasons it should be in your wallet, or read our definitive review for more details.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred® named a 'Best Travel Credit Card' by MONEY® Magazine, 2016-2017
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Earn 5,000 bonus points after you add the first authorized user and make a purchase in the first 3 months from account opening
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $625 toward travel.
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards