Passenger Has Major Meltdown Over Baggage Fees at Memphis Airport
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
A passenger at Memphis International Airport (MEM) went on a wild rampage and earned herself a first-class ticket to jail. The distraught passenger, Tamiko Waner, was shown in a Facebook video, now deleted, tossing around airport property and breaking a fire extinguisher off the wall, which resulted in a room full of fog.
“I don’t care about going to jail,” Warner said in the video. “Whatever. This is worth it.”
The reason behind the madness? The man who filmed the meltdown claimed that it was all over a $20 baggage fee. The most alarming part of the whole ordeal was that she was able to carry on her temper tantrum for nearly five minutes before anyone stopped her.
Eventually, an officer was called to the gate and Warner was taken into custody. She is facing charges for vandalism and disorderly conduct. The fire extinguisher fog caused damage to computers, phones and carpets worth up to $10,000.
According to Newsweek, “Vandalism charges vary in degree in Tennessee based on the financial value of what was damaged. Warner was charged with vandalism ranging from $2,500 to $10,000, which is considered a Class D felony. Penalties for the charge vary but can include between two and 12 years in prison, a probationary period, restitution and a fine of up to $5,000.”
If only she had read The Points Guy, she would have known how to avoid baggage fees.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.