A Romantic Gesture Gone Wrong Gets Woman Denied From Her Flight
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Romantic gestures can sweep you off your feet. Unfortunately this one swept a Swiss woman off her flight — and probably cost her a few points and miles, too.
A Swiss man of Thai descent bought airline tickets for himself and his female travel companion from Zurich (ZRH) to Japan (FUK) via Helsinki (HEL). Trying to be affectionate, the man included a romantic message on his companion’s reservation. In between her first and last name, he added the Thai word “duang” — the equivalent to “sweetheart” in English — The Local reports.
Because the name on her ticket obviously didn’t match the one on her passport, the woman was denied from check-in (and the romantic gesture backfired). The woman, identified as Maria Meier, was forced to buy a completely new ticket for the following day, Swiss newspaper Tages Anzeiger reported.
The couple was traveling with two other flyers at the time, and unfortunately they were delayed at the gate because of the incident and also missed their connecting flight to Helsinki (HEL). As a result, the two other passengers were also forced to rebook new tickets to Japan. Following the dramatic series of events, Marie reportedly fainted at the ticket counter, according to Tages Anzeiger. After assistance from medical staff, the woman was cleared to fly the following day.
Recently, a Thai Airways passenger was charged an extra fee at the airline’s check-in counter for having a last name that was too long to fit in the online booking platform. Although the airline reimbursed the customer for the fee, it is important to note airline policy for name changes. Airlines recommend using your full name as it appears on your government-issued photo ID when booking a flight. Ultimately, inputting your complete name as displayed on your travel documents is far easier (and less expensive) than having to rebook or update your ticket.
Featured photo by FatCamera/Getty Images.
H/T: The Local
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees