What tourists need to know as Paris protests hit day 24
Officials in France are bracing for continued protests by the yellow vest movement in response to pension reforms advocated by French President Emmanuel Macron. Begun on December 5, the protests center on changes to retirement plans that would see benefits slashed for some. Now up to a total of four ‘striking days,’ where protesters have taken to the streets, hundreds of thousands have come out to show their commitment to the cause.
Unfortunately, this has left public transport in shambles, with most of the Paris metro shut down and only two driverless lines still in operation. Even services such as the Eurostar route linking the UK and France have been affected, with the train publishing a limited timetable until January 5. While those needing access to the metro or other public transit may find themselves in a bind, passengers can take Uber or other private vehicles to navigate around the city.
Fortunately for travelers, airports and tourist sites remain unaffected and in continued operation.
According to The Local, despite the difficult holiday season, protest leaders are confident that public opinion remains with them and plan to continue their strike, making this the longest strike since the 1980s with no end in sight.
This isn’t the first strike in 2019, as violent protests occurred earlier this year over a disconnect between the French government and its people.
Featured Photo by Lionel Bonaventure/AFP/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees