This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Officials in France are bracing for the ninth straight weekend of protests by the yellow vest movement. National police chief Eric Morvan in an interview with France Inter radio said officials are expecting the number of protesters to be back to the levels that were seen prior to the holidays and are expecting the protests to continue to be violent. Last weekend saw around 50,000 protesters, a number up from the holidays but nothing near the 300,000 that turned for the first protest in November.
Paris chief of police Michel Delpuech said his forces face the unpredictability of the protesters which poses problems. According to Delpeuch, his forces will be spread out around the city. Hopefully by keeping forces spread around Paris they will be able to more quickly react to issues as they arise around the city. He hopes keeping the forces mobile will allow them to react and make arrests more quickly and shortening the duration of violence, should it occur.
Police will be stopping and searching protestors over the weekend. Authorities will be looking to confiscate weapons as well as protective gear that might make the protestors more willing to engage with police. Around 80,000 police officers will be working around the country this weekend with around 5,000 of those forces in Paris.
The yellow vests are demonstrating against French President Emmanuel Macron and his government. Protesters claim that Macron’s policies are aimed to help the wealthy and are disconnected from the every day lives of the ordinary French citizens.
The US Embassy in France has issued a statement to travelers to exercise caution around France this weekend.
H/T: The Local
Featured Photo by Lionel Bonaventure/AFP/Getty Images.
With some great bonus categories, the American Express Gold Card has a lot going for it. The card offers 4x points at US restaurants, at US supermarkets (up to $25,000; then 1x), and 3x points on flights booked directly with airlines or through amextravel.com. It is currently offering a welcome bonus of 35,000 bonus points after you spend $2,000 in the first three months.
- Earn 35,000 Membership Rewards® Points after you spend $2,000 on eligible purchases with your new Card within the first 3 months.
- Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. restaurants. Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. supermarkets (on up to $25,000 per year in purchases, then 1X).
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or on amextravel.com.
- Earn up to $10 in statement credits monthly when you pay with The Gold Card at Grubhub, Seamless, The Cheesecake Factory, Shake Shack, and Ruth's Chris Steak House. This is an annual savings of up to $120. Enrollment required.
- $100 Airline Fee Credit: up to $100 in statement credits per calendar year for incidental fees at one selected qualifying airline.
- Choose to carry a balance with interest on eligible charges of $100 or more.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- Annual Fee is $250.
- Terms apply.
- See Rates & Fees