Add It to the Bucket List: Paraglide Over Iceland’s Black Sand Beaches
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
If you’ve spent any amount of time in Iceland, you know how surreal the surroundings are. And, even if you haven’t, you’ve seen the photos — it’s straight out of a movie set (and sometimes is the movie set). Iceland’s black sand beaches have long been a sight for travelers around the world, but there’s one way to escape the crowds and see them in a truly unique way: paragliding.
Tour company Paragliding Iceland takes visitors hundreds of feet in the air to take in some of the country’s unique landscapes. You won’t be alone; each paraglider is matched with an experienced pilot who will guide you through your airborne journey. One of the pilot bios on the site mentions instructor Róbert as having a specialty in “aerobatic maneuvers,” making it seem like you can add a little more adventure to your already-adventurous experience.
The paragliding itself will last up to 20 minutes, weather depending, and each paragliding site is located within an hour’s drive of Reykjavik. For an added fee, you can also opt in for a pick-up in Reykjavik, just in case you didn’t rent a car.
The act of flying is cool in itself, but being able to avoid the crowds is worth the tour fee alone. There are spots to see the black sand beaches on foot all around the country, but you can bet on there being a lot of people milling around with you ruining your photos. And on the topic of photos: You don’t have to worry about snapping shots during your paragliding experience. Your pilot will have a GoPro on hand and will take care of the photos so you can just enjoy the ride.
You can also add your paragliding to a day tour — take to the air after visiting waterfalls, glaciers and lava fields. Since the weather is so unpredictable, Paragliding Iceland offers a pretty slick re-booking promise. If your flight needs to be cancelled because of the weather, the company is happy to re-book your flight for another time or day, or you’re welcome to choose another Free Flying tour. And if your schedule just doesn’t allow a re-book, they’ll refund you the total amount of your tour.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.