Add It to the Bucket List: Paraglide Over Iceland’s Black Sand Beaches
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
If you’ve spent any amount of time in Iceland, you know how surreal the surroundings are. And, even if you haven’t, you’ve seen the photos — it’s straight out of a movie set (and sometimes is the movie set). Iceland’s black sand beaches have long been a sight for travelers around the world, but there’s one way to escape the crowds and see them in a truly unique way: paragliding.
Tour company Paragliding Iceland takes visitors hundreds of feet in the air to take in some of the country’s unique landscapes. You won’t be alone; each paraglider is matched with an experienced pilot who will guide you through your airborne journey. One of the pilot bios on the site mentions instructor Róbert as having a specialty in “aerobatic maneuvers,” making it seem like you can add a little more adventure to your already-adventurous experience.
The paragliding itself will last up to 20 minutes, weather depending, and each paragliding site is located within an hour’s drive of Reykjavik. For an added fee, you can also opt in for a pick-up in Reykjavik, just in case you didn’t rent a car.
The act of flying is cool in itself, but being able to avoid the crowds is worth the tour fee alone. There are spots to see the black sand beaches on foot all around the country, but you can bet on there being a lot of people milling around with you ruining your photos. And on the topic of photos: You don’t have to worry about snapping shots during your paragliding experience. Your pilot will have a GoPro on hand and will take care of the photos so you can just enjoy the ride.
You can also add your paragliding to a day tour — take to the air after visiting waterfalls, glaciers and lava fields. Since the weather is so unpredictable, Paragliding Iceland offers a pretty slick re-booking promise. If your flight needs to be cancelled because of the weather, the company is happy to re-book your flight for another time or day, or you’re welcome to choose another Free Flying tour. And if your schedule just doesn’t allow a re-book, they’ll refund you the total amount of your tour.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees